Mac Pro 2013 - Black Magic eGPU - Final Cut Pro X best performance tips?

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 2013 - Black Magic eGPU - Final Cut Pro X best performance tips?  

RSS

Lotus54
(@lotus54)

I have a Mac Pro 2013 (trashcan).  

I have the Black Magic eGPU working, most of the time it works just fine.  although sometimes after a restart it will not work.  It shows up- but not functioning.

resetting set-egpu and a shutdown - then start seems to work.  a regular restart will not work- had to shut it down.  thoughts?

now the main, is there any way to improve Final Cut Pro X with the eGPU?  for some things it does not appear to use it, others it does. Export is something that takes the most time, it does use it, but not much of the built in ones.

any ideas on improvements I appreciate.   (I have 128GB RAM, 1T SSD and a couple of thunderbolt 2 RAIDS - on different busses than the eGPU) 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

Have you selected it from FinalCut preferences?

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Lotus54
(@lotus54)

Yes, I have it selected.

It does use the eGPU when exporting- the activty monitor shows it is ‘pegged’ with just some use of the build int GPUs.

But when analyzing/transcoding, it does not appear to use the eGPU and in fact seems to use just one GPU.

Not sure if that makes sense.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
IndieFist Games And Music
(@indiefist_games_and_music)

@lotus54, i use unity3d, and i can see in activity monitor that uses 66% of my egpu, maybe the tb2 isnt enough for a egpu =/

ReplyQuote