Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 2013 eGPU set ups  

of  3
  RSS

nickmilitello
(@nickmilitello)
Eminent Member

I have a nMP with an Akitio and Titan Z set up with Sierra.  Having issues with dual Titan Z on Sierra.  But I wanted to get a welcome discussion for anyone having nMP eGPU issues or fixes.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

I'd love to hear how you succeeded with the El Capitan setup.

and your process for a single eGPU on the nMP

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nickmilitello
(@nickmilitello)
Eminent Member

If I remember correctly, I downloaded the script via the instructions from Goalque.  

curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh

chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

cd ~/Desktop

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh 

I had the GPU plugged in while I was doing this.  

I guess couple questions.  What card are you using to connect to the Mac and where are you getting hung up?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

A Titan X with an Akitio Thunder2

I can run the script ok. When I restart, the progress on the Apple boot screen gets to around 45-50% then freezes.

The system reboots with the kernel panic error message and the cycle starts again.

It then loops like this until I force shutdown (Holding down the power button).

I tried -a mode and it booted once, but the card was not recognised by name only by NVIDIA Chip Model.

When I restarted it went back to the freeze loop. 

2013 Mac Pro (FP D700 x2) [3rd,8C,E] + GTX 980 Ti x2 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nickmilitello
(@nickmilitello)
Eminent Member

I would try and SMB reset.  shut down the Mac, unplug the power for 15-20 secs.  This resets the thunderbolt ports if there is something electronically hung up.  Then start he Mac without the Akitio plugged in.  Plug the Akitio in, run the script again.  Then use -a mode.

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a

restart.  If that doesn't work, I would try sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall and restart and then repeat the above process.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Is dual Titan Z setup still workable if you reinstall Mavericks from the Internet recovery and then upgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan? Firmware updates possibly have an effect on multiple eGPU detection as well.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nickmilitello
(@nickmilitello)
Eminent Member

I tried a reinstall of El Capitan and the Dual Titan Z worked.  Unfortunately there was a few things I needed on Sierra so I had to upgrade.  

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

The early boot process has been changed significantly in macOS Sierra. Browsing the system log and comparing it to earlier OS X versions is one way to troubleshoot this problem. You can also use verbose mode (Command-V) on startup.

@imcalledandy: did you try GTX 980Ti?

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
imcalledandy
(@imcalledandy)
Estimable Member

I've had to put it off until Monday unfortunately. Work got in the way!

I will let you know how I get on. I'm trying to establish a rock solid process:

I think starting with the SMC reset is a good move. Then maybe reset PRAM. Disable SIP and follow the steps to install and run the script. Then, before restart turn on -a mode then restart and keep fingers crossed. 

Anything to add to that?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Sounds a good plan. It’s also worth to try without -a mode in Bus 0. Good luck with the GTX 980Ti!

Interesting post at MacRumors:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/titan-x-best-mac-pro-card.1852113/page-4#post-24241741

ReplyQuote
 of  3