The Mac Pro (nMP, 6.1, 2013, Trashcan) eGPU Setup Thread

[Solved] The Mac Pro (nMP, 6.1, 2013, Trashcan) eGPU Setup Thread  

of  2
  RSS

AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@itsage

Just tried to DDU’ing the BootcampDrivers version and clean installing the official AMD drivers but the installer errors out at the start saying that AMD graphics hardware was not found. All three graphics cards show up in Device Manager (albeit all labelled with “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter”). Switching my display to the eGPU results in a black screen (completely off, no backlight) and isn’t resolved when I plug it back into the Mac Pro (hard reboot needed). 

I think we’re in a bind until Microsoft fixes the broader eGPU issues. A cursory look around the internet suggests it’s not just us Mac users with hacked together setups that are having issues. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

Just tried 1903 V1 (18362.30) and it's the same deal. Cannot get the eGPU working, so I'm going with rebuild number 3 and heading back to 1809. 

Edit: Or not. Trying to fresh install 1809 on my external SSD led to constant ACPI.sys BSOD on startup before the install even finished. I have no clue why.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@aj_scarcella Thank you for testing different versions of Windows 10. Similar to your experience I could not get error 43 resolved in Win10 1903 no matter what. 1809 or older may be the only working version for now. It’s good the firmware of the 2013 Mac Pro allows Thunderbolt eGPU detection in Windows more consistently though. I’m thinking this should work well with Linux too. I may try Ubuntu 19.10 which was released yesterday. Thunderbolt support for Linux has been great in the past couple of years. We also have scripts to set up the eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@itsage

No worries. Thanks for helping out as well! At this point in time, because I can't get 1809 to install properly, I'm stuck on the latest version of Windows 10 on my SSD. My regular HDD still has some form of 1809 on it though which works, so I guess I'll just stick with two Windows installations for the time being!

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
jcp-123
(@jcp-123)

I recently fitted a Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe in my Mac Pro (1,300 MB/s write and read speeds!) and have created a Bootcamp partition.

On following the process again, I was able to successfully setup the eGPU by disabling only four PCI bridges:

PCI slot 4 (PCI bus 21, device 5, function 0)

PCI bus 17, device 10, function 0 

PCI bus 21, device 0, function 0

PCI bus 0, device 30, function 0

Mac Pro (2013) / TBT3>2 adapter / Razer Core X / Saphire Vega 56 / Bootcamp: external SSD via USB

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@jcp-123

That’s awesome! What version of Windows are you running?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

Hi, trash can pro user here and I am considering getting eGPU for the first time (though I've been tempted for the past five years)

Unfortunately I am also using 1903 Win 10 for BootCamp. But for Catalina, I suppose a 550w Breakaway Box + RX 580 8G should be compatible?

Thank you.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

Yep, that should be perfectly fine for Catalina (and Mojave for that matter). I don't have any experience with the Breakaway Box but the RX 580 works perfectly and with minimal fuss

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

@aj_scarcella

Thank you. That's great to hear. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

My package arrived today. Had no problem with detecting and working with the eGPU on Catalina. 

I wiped my bootcamp partition out and reinstalled x64 1803. Still installing bootcamp drivers, hope everything will turn out fine. 

Edit: I got black screens after DDU. I probably need to reinstall bootcamp again. 

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

After loading dsdt-modified.aml and reboot, the computer was able to recognize the enclosure or gpu as I heard the new hardware detection sound. 

But then, black screen again. 

It is getting frustrating. I'll try doing this all over again some other day, but still appreciate everyone who posted in this thread. 

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

Have you tried installing 1809 instead? That was more eGPU-friendly for me.

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

Will try that one. 

One thing I noticed though is how much the driver from BootCampDrivers improved D300's gaming performance. 

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@aestivalis

I’m pretty surprised myself. I can’t say I actually want to run games on the the d700s often, owing to thermal concerns, but they’re no slouch. Regardless though, I really want my RX 580 back...

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

I did one last try tonight. 

Fixed error 12, was able to see three GPUs in device manager.

I thought it was a good to go to install Radeon driver, and I got the black screen again. 

Was I supposed to fix error 43 first?

Finally get it working!

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

What did you end up doing?

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

@aj_scarcella

I unplugged egpu, DDUed in safe mode, then reboot installed official AMD driver.

Then reboot again, plug in eGPU, instead of DDU I installed Adrenalin driver directly. 

That didn't cause black screen and all three GPUs were showing up in device manager with correct names without any yellow warning sign. 

However, once I tried to restarted windows, the OS froze at the "restarting" screen, and black screens came back again when I forced reboot. 

Seems replicable . 

ReplyQuote
jcp-123
(@jcp-123)

@aj_scarcella

1809 as before. 1903 defo doesn’t support eGPU

Mac Pro (2013) / TBT3>2 adapter / Razer Core X / Saphire Vega 56 / Bootcamp: external SSD via USB

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@aestivalis

Interesting. The official AMD drivers never seemed to work for me - they’d always error out at the start saying they couldn’t detect any AMD hardware. Which driver did you use for the d300?

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

The latest bootcamp driver from AMD's website. That will make D300s recognized first then the driver from bootcampdrivers for eGPU. But I am sure the later alone should be enough. 

Now finally the eGPU's 100% working under 1809. Turns out I don't need to enable apple_set_os.efi every time. That was what caused those black screens. Wifi stopped working for unknown reason, but that should be an easy fix. 

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@aestivalis

Ah, right. The bootcampdrivers.com version should be sufficient for all three cards (it was the only one I used under 1809). apple_set_os.efi isn't needed at all for the Mac Pro. In terms of your WiFi, what devices did you end up disabling to get the eGPU working?

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
aestivalis
(@aestivalis)

The same as jcp-123 posted:

PCI slot 4 (PCI bus 21, device 5, function 0)

PCI bus 17, device 10, function 0 

PCI bus 21, device 0, function 0

PCI bus 0, device 30, function 0

ReplyQuote
 of  2