Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) and Samsung CRG9 49" Monitor

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) and Samsung CRG9 49" Monitor  

of  2
  RSS

ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

Need some advice.  I have a 2013 Mac Pro with D500 GPU's and a Samsung CRG9 49" Monitor.  The Mac Pro won't utilize the full 5120x1440 resolution of the monitor.  I have used SwitchResX and oddly, I can get the full resolution on HDMI but not displayport but the image is fuzzy and not really usable.  I can use dual display port cables to the monitor and configure PBP and that provides a sharp image of dual 2560x1440 monitors but application windows need to be one one or the other side, they cannot 'span' the two virtual monitors, another problem.  

I even bought a new Mac Mini with TB3 that is supposed to support 5120x2880 to drive this monitor.  Apple confirmed that it would support the monitor before I bought it and it does, but it is also fuzzy.  No better than the TB2 on my Mac Pro, so I returned it.

What I want to do is use a eGPU to enable full 5120x1440, sharp resolution on monitor and to speed up video rendering (I am not a gamer).  Has anyone done this?  Can anyone tell me if I can get that sharp 5120x1440 resolution on the Samsung with my TB2 Mac Pro?

Thanks

This topic was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Mac mini 2018 cannot do width > 4096 with single connection displays. The LG UltraFine 5K display uses two DisplayPort connections over Thunderbolt to do 5120x2880 (each connection is 2560x2880 but it appears as a single connection to the user, unlike PBP).

HDMI output has less bandwidth than DisplayPort 1.2 but 5120x1440 requires less bandwidth than 4K so it shouldn't be a problem. You may have been using a 5120x1440 framebuffer but the output signal could be 3840x1080. macOS only shows you the framebuffer resolution and pixel format. It doesn't show the output resolution and pixel format. For output resolution, use SwitchResX to view the timing info of the current resolution (double click the current resolution) or use the AGDCDiagnose command (it shows connection info but only shows output resolution and pixel format for AMD graphics).

The new version of macOS (Big Sur) may add > 4096 width for Intel Kaby Lake graphics (but not Intel Coffee Lake which is an updated version of Kaby Lake in the Mac mini). Intel Ice Lake graphics (10th gen CPU, Gen11 graphics) does not have the 4096 width limit in Catalina.

I don't know if Big Sur fixes Mac Pro Dxxx AMD graphics.

Any eGPU should allow single connection 5120x1440 mode.

You can enable display spanning of windows across displays by disabling the "Displays have separate spaces" option in Mission Control preferences panel in System Preferences.app.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

@joevt, thanks so much.  You were right of course, changing the mission control settings give me what I needed!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

@joevt

Another question, so I followed your instructions and captured the timing data on my current resolution, 2560x1440 and I want to create a custom resolution for 5120x1440 single cable.  How do I use the timing information I captured to create the new custom resolution?  Do I have to disable SIP as well?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ca_sunshine, the display has the 5120x1440 timing already in its EDID so you don't need to add it. Your problem is not the timing. The timing is perfectly valid. Your problem is the GPU doesn't support the timing correctly.

The Mac Pro's HDMI port only support HDMI 1.4 - it's not enough to support 5120x1440 60Hz. Maybe it could support 5120x1440 30Hz? You could try adding a timing for that if it's not included in the EDID. But the GPU itself probably doesn't like the 5120 width. Well, I guess you can try. Also, post a photo of the result (for HDMI and DisplayPort).

In SwitchResX, create timings in the Custom Timings tab. Use CVT-RB calculation. Then type Command-S to save. Then press the Activate Immediately button. Then check the tabs to see if the timing was added. If so, then try the timing.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
overflood
(@overflood)

Hello!

I have the same setup: Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) and bought a Samsung CRG9 49" and ran into the same issues.

@joevt: You mentioned "Any eGPU should allow single connection 5120x1440 mode." While MacPro 6,1 only has Thunderbolt2, it means I could attach any of these TB2 eGPUs from eGPU Buyers guide for TB2? Or would you recommend a TB3 eGPU combined with TB3>2 adapter in my case with having a MacPro 6,1, like "Razer Core X"? The "RX 5700 XT" will be a good fit afais?

Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) with 2x D500, Samsung CRG9 49" Screen, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

@overflood, I got my setup working with a black magic eGPU with the AMG Radeon 580 card.  Now I can run full resolution at 99HZ.  I connect an Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter to the eGPU with a certified TB2 cable to the Mac Pro.  Then I run a TB3 to Display Port cable from the  eGPU to the monitor.  Then I run SwitchResX to get the resolution I want and it all works.  However it won’t work from boot so you have to keep a HDMI cable connected to the monitor and connect it to the Mac Pro temporarily  during boot ups.  With SwitchResX you can get full resolution on the monitor but it’s fuzzy.  Once it’s up on HDMI, plug in the eGPU, switch over and unplug the HDMI.  It’s clunky but it works.

This post was modified 3 months ago

ReplyQuote
overflood
(@overflood)

@ca_sunshine, so thats great, but the bootup sounds actually clunky. Why doesn't it work during boot? SwitchResX does have "boot resolutions", that could work during boot ups. What happens if you just leave the eGPU connected while bootup? As soon the login screen comes up, eGPU still doesn't work?

Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) with 2x D500, Samsung CRG9 49" Screen, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

It may be specific to the black magic eGPU.  It doesn’t have a power switch and only powers up when it sees a signal.  So boot up is an is an issue because it stays off during boot up and the Mac Pro doesn’t recognize it.  If you use a Razer eGPU you might have better luck. There is a youtuber ‘Constant Geekery’ who uses a Razer and said his system does survive a reboot when the eGPU is wired in line.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @overflood

Hello!

I have the same setup: Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) and bought a Samsung CRG9 49" and ran into the same issues.

@joevt: You mentioned "Any eGPU should allow single connection 5120x1440 mode." While MacPro 6,1 only has Thunderbolt2, it means I could attach any of these TB2 eGPUs from eGPU Buyers guide for TB2? Or would you recommend a TB3 eGPU combined with TB3>2 adapter in my case with having a MacPro 6,1, like "Razer Core X"? The "RX 5700 XT" will be a good fit afais?

Any eGPU, TB2 or TB3.

ReplyQuote
 of  2