Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) and Samsung CRG9 49" Monitor  

of  2
  RSS

overflood
(@overflood)

Thanks, so finally I've made this setup:

- Razer Core X

- SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

- Connected the Screen with eGPU via HDMI (DisplayPort Cable is coming)

And it works! Setup was hard, because when I connected eGPU before setup with purge-wrangler was done. However, I did made it manually and its working now.

Till I boot. I don't get anything on the screen. What I do to get it working: disconnect eGPU, wait a minute for boot. Enter the password blindly, press enter. Wait a moment and then connect eGPU. Then I have luck and see my screen. 

Whats the missing part to support eGPU while booting?

Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) with 2x D500, Samsung CRG9 49" Screen, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

@overflood, You will need a second HDMI cable to go from your Mac Pro directly to your monitor.  When you reboot cable up the HDMI and set your monitor to that input.  Once you are booted up and logged in, start the eGPU and switch over to it.  You also will need to do this before you do any OS updates.  It's a pain and the video on HDMI will be less than ideal but that's the process I  use.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
overflood
(@overflood)

@ca_sunshine Thanks for this hint. This way it works, but isn't very sneak. First it starts with the wrong screen, then I had to reconfigure resolutions and also needs to disconnect the screen again. 

What does hinder the macos to connect with eGPU by boot? Is there any other kext that can fix this? Or is it a kernel configuration? Maybe someone knows about it. 

Mac Pro 6,1 (2013) with 2x D500, Samsung CRG9 49" Screen, Razer Core X, SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

ReplyQuote
ca_sunshine
(@ca_sunshine)

@overflood, I think the issue is that the mac doesn't see the eGPU until after the initial boot so it doesn't know to send video to it.   Are you using your eGPU in line, in between your monitor and Mac Pro or as a 'eGPU on a stick?'  Whichever you are using, try the other.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@overflood, Are you asking about cold boot into macOS with the eGPU connected or having the boot screen through the eGPU?

Cold boot with the eGPU is possible as long as you connect it to Thunderbolt Bus 0, either port 5 or 6 (bottom row). It's not possible to have boot screen through the eGPU on any Mac except the 2018 Mac mini.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
overflood
(@overflood)

@ca_sunshine I'm not sure what you mean with "eGPU in line" or "eGPU on a stick". In line is: Macpro -> eGPU -> Screen ? This is what I do now.

@itsage: So cold boot means I boot the mac and get welcomed with the login screen? This would be great. 
Boot screen means I see it loading? If its not working, doesn't matter. Don't need it often (and I hope this doesn't change because of the eGPU software).
Atm the eGPU is connected bottom left. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2