Mac Pro 6,1 (late 2013) - razer core x - EVGA 2070 Super

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Pro 6,1 (late 2013) - razer core x - EVGA 2070 Super  

RSS

(@vincenzo_masciarelli)

Hi all! I want to underline that I'm a completely noob about egpu, I started reading this forum that has really advanced users about egpu!! I'm starting with a simple, maybe, question. 

I'm trying to use the razer Core x with the EVGA on my macPro, I already buyed apple converter from thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 3(USBC), but the strange part is that when I plug the Razer on MacOS I don't see the nvidia of course but I can see that the thunderbolt is discovering the box from the connected hardware on the thunderbolt system info, but when I try the same thing on the Windows 10 partition it's not detected. The Razer and GPU fans go to maximum and Windows it's not able to detect the Graphic card, I thought that was the converter and I did a test with a 2016 MacBook Pro. Here all things are going good but after I completed the driver installation with nvidia I encountered the bad error 12. 

So my question is, established that Razer is working as expected and also the GPU, there is some advice to make it work on windows on Mac Pro with thunderbolt 3 -> 2 adapter? It's possible that windows it's not installing the right driver for thunderbolt 2? 

P.s. I tried to make it work on macbook pro but anythings worked for me, installing the right windows version and all the other things read here. I'm making a lot of mistakes guys, someone can Help me?

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Mac Pro Late 2013 - Razer Core X - EVGA 2070 Super

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@vincenzo_masciarelli, There are no drivers for Nvidia cards since macOS 10.14. It's not likely to happen anytime soon due to the contentious relationship between Apple and Nvidia.

The 2013 Mac Pro also faces several other challenges when it comes to eGPU use. Apple does not allow this feature on Macs without at least Thunderbolt 3. The Thunderbolt 2 connection in the nMP is therefore software blocked when you connect an eGPU. Our community provides several solutions to unblock this restriction. You'd still need a graphics with drivers in macOS in order to use it.

Boot Camp eGPU is another hurdle all together. I'd recommend reading our macOS Catalina eGPU overview. 

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@vincenzo_masciarelli)

Thanks a lot @itsage for your rapid reply. I'm inspecting eGPU to play games on MacPro, my goal is to make it work under bootcamp, I read a lot here on the forum about possible solutions but I'm stucked before any of these, because my MacPro don't want to discover the eGPU plugged into the razer core x, I'm not really well understanding why, so I tried to understand if someone had similar problem before or if someone has an idea to solve this first issue, because reading about bootcamp on mac pro every user is discovering the gpu.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mac Pro Late 2013 - Razer Core X - EVGA 2070 Super

ReplyQuote