Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Pro Late 2013 Radeon RX Vega 64

Mac Pro Late 2013 Radeon RX Vega 64  

RSS

Dmitry Ostroglyadov
(@dmitry-ostroglyadov)

Hello! I'm trying to use my Radeon RX Vega 64 card in Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 through TB2->TB3 adapter.
I can see it in System Report with "Driver Installed: No"
I have Mac Pro Late 2013 running MacOS 10.13.6.
Any ideas on how to make my setup work please?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Apple doesn’t provide native eGPU support for the late 2013 Mac Pro. There are only community support. One solution I highly recommend is @mac_editor‘s Purge-Wrangler script. Once you run that, your Mac Pro will work with the RX Vega 64 eGPU. Keep in mind the Vega 64 has power spikes that the Breakaway 550 may not be able to handle.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Dmitry Ostroglyadov
(@dmitry-ostroglyadov)

Thank you a lot!!
All is working withot problems!
Davinci Resolve 15 got 30% compute boost! 4K realtime playback with correction. 
Best at OpenCL manualy setup. 
No power issue discovered. 
Thanks again!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Chippy McChipset
(@chippy-mcchipset)
Reputable Member

Will be curious to know if after using that setup for a prolonged period in a work capacity (i.e. large renders or other tasks that use the eGPU for several hours at a time) if you run into any power issues (app crash, screen artifacts, system crash, etc). According to Sonnet that card shouldn't work on the 550 model. I think that draws more power than the Vega 64 cards as well so in theory if yours works reliably, those other cards should as well.

Thunderbolt 3 Macs, Sonnet and OWC eGPUs, 4K Displays, etc

ReplyQuote