Setup & Software Discussions
Mac Pro Late 2013, Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 w/ RX580 - Not Working

Mac Pro Late 2013, Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 w/ RX580 - Not Working  

RSS

cpokrywka
(@cpokrywka)

Hey all!

I'm brand new to the forum and eGPU scene. I've followed all of the guides to a T and poured through the Troubleshooting area but am having a dilemma I can't seem to solve.

I'm trying to get my eGPU running on my work computer. It is a Mac Pro Late 2013 model (trash can). 3.5GHz Intel Xeon E5 6-Core, 32GB Ram, AMD FirePro D300 2GB(x2), and updated to the latest macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

My enclosure is the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350. My video card is the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 (which I've read is highly supported).

Everything I've read says this setup should be pretty plug-and-play, but not so much for me it seems. I purchased the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter and a Thunderbolt cable. Connected the cable to the lower right Thunderbolt port on the back of my Mac Pro (the bottom two seem to have the least issues and are best supported I've read). When I try to boot up the Mac Pro, it chimes but nothing is shown on the display (I've tried using a DVI monitor and also an HDMI monitor. I do not have a DisplayPort monitor to test.) I also have the Apple Cinema Display connected to a separate Thunderbolt port and nothing pops up on that screen either. If I have just the Cinema Display connected and boot, and then connect my eGPU at the login screen, the Mac Pro does recognize it as a Thunderbolt device connection (shows up in System Report), but it does NOT recognize it as a Display and I can't see it under Displays or within the Displays area of System Report.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 Model with 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 and 16GB memory upgraded to the latest macOS Mojave 10.14.5. I plugged the eGPU directly into the USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port using the supplied cable from Sonnet and it immediately is recognized and works as it's supposed to. The DVI and HDMI ports all display correctly and everything shows up as it should in System Report. So the eGPU itself is confirmed to be working. Just for some reason my Mac Pro will not properly recognize it.

Any suggestions? I'm completely at a loss here and just blew an entire work day trying to get this figured out and configured properly. Thanks so much in advance!

P.S. I took some screenshots of some various screens on both my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro to show what I'm experiencing. I've uploaded them to this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/36poz0k8jy7xfe5/AACP4MjTwacFoSUeNFLflPPla?dl=0

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Apple only allows Thunderbolt 3 Macs to use eGPU in macOS. Your Mac Pro 6,1 is a Thunderbolt 2 system and therefore has no native eGPU support.

Fortunately there are a couple of community eGPU support solutions. I’d recommend Purge-Wrangler script by @Mac_editor. You can also use automate-eGPU EFI boot manager by @goalque.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
cpokrywka
(@cpokrywka)

Posted by: itsage

Apple only allows Thunderbolt 3 Macs to use eGPU in macOS. Your Mac Pro 6,1 is a Thunderbolt 2 system and therefore has no native eGPU support.

Fortunately there are a couple of community eGPU support solutions. I'd recommend Purge-Wrangler script by @Mac_editor. You can also use automate-eGPU EFI boot manager by @goalque.

I was able to run Purge-Wrangler and now everything works! Thank you so much!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@marcus_cf_tinnerholm)

HELP!

Im not able to run it after the 10.14.5 Update!?

I get this:

sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: Permission denied

sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

The system integrety thing is : Disabled!

What else can it be!? Have fiddled around with like Read/Eritw rights for the users witout any luck! ;-(

ReplyQuote