Macbook 2018 slow after booting up with Egpu
I have a MacBook 2018, and have installed the Fr34K script and is trying to use my sonnet with a GTX980 TI. When the machine boot up with the Sonnet the machine Is really slow and you can't really do anything.
The box is connect to a screen, and when I enter OSX the screen on my MacBooks screen turns off, and the external screen is only turned on.
Does anyone else has the same problems and has found a solution?
I have exactly the same issue here.
The system seems to be running at around 0.5-1fps.
Except the mouse cursor which is full frame rate (looks like 60, anyway more than 30)
cpu usage is very low / normal
Using an Aorus Gaming box 1080
shows up on Thunderbolt Bus 1
link status 0x2, 40Gb/s x 1
I use this MacBook every day in windows with the eGPU without issues.
It feels like a detection loop
where it’s detected something, tries to cope with it, fails to act, goes back to previous state, detects again, etc
Even the touchbar framerate drops
i presume the fact that the internal monitor doesn’t show an image is inherently linked to the issue. The screen does show up in display preferences as a currently active screen (along with my 2 external monitors connected via egpu)
Works for me:
* Boot up without eGPU attached
* After boot attach eGPU
* Wait until external monitors are detected (they will be black but with a signal)
* Log out, log in
* Working! (all monitors with full frame rate, internal monitor working also)
I will try, and see if it works.
* Before you log out - the other screens will be on and detected but black (a bit like your internal screen if you boot up with the eGPU attached)
* If the external monitors aren't detected (before you logout), try unplugging the thunderbolt, powering off the eGPU for 10 seconds then plugging in again (This seems to be because the GPU can be in a semi-booted state which needs resetting. I also find that I need to do this whenever I accidentally boot into OSX aith the eGPU attached and boot into Windows after).