Share:

Macbook Air 11" (2015) + Akitio Node + Sapphire AMD RX480 + Thunderbolt 2/3 Adaptor  

RSS

autr
 autr
(@autr)
May 2, 2017 11:39 am  

Hi, I recently bought an Akitio Node, Sapphire AMD RX480, and Thunderbolt 2/3 adaptor.

The GPU was registered as a generic GPU on macOS Sierra but I could not get it working after installing Automate eGPU / drivers. My guess was that I needed to upgrade the Node firmware, but without a Windows machine with a Thunderbolt port I was unable to do this - the returns deadline was then fast approaching so I had to send everything back else have a headache with eBay.

Has anyone managed to get a setup like this working? And do you think the Firmware update was what was missing?

I'm now looking at getting an Akitio Thunderbolt2 enclosure and trying again, though the lock put on by Apple is a problem, no?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 2, 2017 12:47 pm  

Can you share with us the macOS version on your early-2015 11" MacBook Air? I have tried the exact same setup a few months ago on 10.12.2 and it worked great. To check the firmware version of the AKiTiO Node, open System Information » Thunderbolt » AKiTiO Node. If it has 23.1 or newer, you're good to go.

Make sure to download the latest version of automate-eGPU.sh script 1.0.1 which was revised to work with 10.12.4. 

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
autr
 autr
(@autr)
May 2, 2017 1:43 pm  

Macbook Air is actually signed up to Betas so *I think* was running 10.12.5 - but possibly 10.12.4 at the time. Unfortunately didn't check the Node firmware version before sending it back. 

What is the likelihood a Akitio Thunderbolt2 will work on my machine? The problem is that the Node is hard to get hold of in the UK

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote