MacBook Pro 13 (2016, 4 TB3 ports), Radeon RX 580, monitor disconnecting when no...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 13 (2016, 4 TB3 ports), Radeon RX 580, monitor disconnecting when not in use (sleep is set to off!)  

RSS

gorbypark
(@gorbypark)

I have a DIY eGPU build using a Thunderbolt 3 NVME enclosure and an ADT-Link NVME to PCI-E adaptor with a Radeon RX 580.  It worked great for a few days, but had the common issue of not waking up/crashing after sleep, so I disabled sleep/turning the monitor off.  After a few days of that working great, I noticed that it started "disconnecting" from the monitor (ie: I can un-clamshell my laptop, and see the eGPU is still connected, can run /usr/bin/SafeEjectGPU gpus and see it is still listed, etc).  This only happens when I'm not using the computer.  I can spend 6 hours working on it, playing games, no issues, but when I stop moving the mouse, the screen turns off.  Sometimes it happens after 60 seconds, sometimes after an hour or two.  I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and if there might be a remedy?  Is there another way to really disable any power savings mode, besides Settings->Energy?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote