late-2016 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS10.12.2 [ikir]^  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

aux fruits
(@aux-fruits)
January 20, 2017 1:02 am  
Posted by: goalque

Maybe the non-touch bar MBP is more compatible with > 10.3.

Why ?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
michaelmo88
(@michaelmo88)
January 20, 2017 1:27 am  

I'm new to eGPU, and wondering if it's possible to get a setup as below? many thanks!!!!

late-2016 13" MBP/w touch bar +AKiTiO Thunder3+ macOS 10.12.2 &win10 

+Gigabyte RX 460 WF2 OC-4Gb 4 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI-E Graphics Card +internal display

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 20, 2017 1:53 am  
Posted by: michaelmo88

I'm new to eGPU, and wondering if it's possible to get a setup as below? many thanks!!!!

late-2016 13" MBP/w touch bar +AKiTiO Thunder3+ macOS 10.12.2 &win10 

+Gigabyte RX 460 WF2 OC-4Gb 4 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI-E Graphics Card +internal display

Any reason you're not going for the RX 470? It's about $50 more but nearly twice the performance. The Thunder3 will work with a Late 2016 13" MBP with Touch Bar. You'll need TB3-enabler and automate-egpu v1.0.0 for macOS. Windows may require DSDT override.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
may
 may
(@may)
January 20, 2017 2:49 pm  

Final Cut Pro X updated to 10.3.2

Final Cut Pro X updated to 10.3.2. Can you retest?

New in Final Cut Pro X 10.3.2

• Ability to add custom folders of audio files to the Sound Effects browser
  • Using ripple delete on audio-only clips no longer disables the selected range
  • Audio meters retain custom width after relaunch
  • Improves responsiveness when editing very long projects
  • Improves performance when exporting H.264 files and changing frame rate
  • Exporting ProRes 4444 files with transparency using Compressor creates a correct alpha channel
  • Fixed an issue in which adjusting the line spacing of multi-line titles only applied to the first line
  • Fixed an issue in which secondary storylines with mixed roles could overlap in the timeline
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent burning Final Cut Pro projects to DVD via Apple USB SuperDrive

aux fruits liked
ReplyQuote
michaelmo88
(@michaelmo88)
January 20, 2017 3:22 pm  

Noted with many thanks! I'm quite new to this area, will check on the rx470 in minutes.

Just for conformation, thus set-up will be fine with built-in display on macOS &windows 10 right?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
January 20, 2017 5:31 pm  

@aux fruits: Just a guess. 10.3 is targeted to touch bar MBPs, and older MBPs have been reported to work with the 10.3.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ViDtje
(@vidtje)
January 21, 2017 3:18 pm  

I'm thinking of building an eGPU with a PowerColor DevilBox and a Saphire RX480 in combination with a 15" late 2016 MacBook Pro. Is it still not possible to let the MacBook Pro sleep? Even with automate-gpu version 1?

EDIT: I can't seem to find out if there is an advantage or disadvantage over AMD GPU's versus Nvidia 9xx series. I hope someone could clear both these issues up.

Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member
January 21, 2017 5:21 pm  
Posted by: may

• Exporting ProRes 4444 files with transparency using Compressor creates a correct alpha channel
  • Fixed an issue in which adjusting the line spacing of multi-line titles only applied to the first line
  • Fixed an issue in which secondary storylines with mixed roles could overlap in the timeline
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent burning Final Cut Pro projects to DVD via Apple USB SuperDrive

Sweet an update! Wonder if there's any fixes for the RX480, I did submit a few incompatibility issues through the bug report site. Let us know when you get the chance, OP!

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
January 22, 2017 11:01 pm  
Posted by: Anchoricex

Sweet an update! Wonder if there's any fixes for the RX480, I did submit a few incompatibility issues through the bug report site. Let us know when you get the chance, OP!

Still crash for me :/

eGPU.it | LG 34" 4K 34UC88 curved ultrawide display
MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
Anchoricex
(@anchoricex)
Trusted Member
January 23, 2017 4:06 pm  

Welp that sucks 🙁

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member
January 26, 2017 9:34 pm  

I have been reading very interesting topics of this forum like crazy lately and finally decided to join and start making my own eGPU.

Just ordered Akitio Thunder3 and RX 470 8Gb Nitro+ but as the GPU has 8-pin Pcie I am not sure would it be easier to use ATX PSU or Dell DA-2.

I've found instructions how to mod DA-2 for GPU's that have 6-pin Pcie but wonder how it is done for 8-pin Pcie GPU's?

late-2016 13" MBP + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + macOS 10.12.3

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
January 27, 2017 1:21 pm  
Posted by: kukkis

I have been reading very interesting topics of this forum like crazy lately and finally decided to join and start making my own eGPU.

Just ordered Akitio Thunder3 and RX 470 8Gb Nitro+ but as the GPU has 8-pin Pcie I am not sure would it be easier to use ATX PSU or Dell DA-2.

I've found instructions how to mod DA-2 for GPU's that have 6-pin Pcie but wonder how it is done for 8-pin Pcie GPU's?

Hi!! DA-2 is silent, ATX PSU maybe is easier to mod. A skilled friend helped me with powercable.

MacBook Pro 2018 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.7Ghz - 16GB RAM - 512GB PCIe SSD --> my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member
January 27, 2017 2:04 pm  

Ok, thank you for the quick reply. I might go for the ATX PSU as it seems more straightforward at the moment.

Dell DA-2 mod to 6-pin Pcie and barrel plug seems to be doable with the instructions given on this forum:

PSU - (1) Dell 220W DA-2 ($20-30) +  (2) Barrel 5.5mm x 2.5mm ($5)   (3) 2 x Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable 

I wonder can you just replace the other 6-pin Pcie splitter cable with 6-pin to 8-pin or 6+2 pin Pcie splitter cable and connect it to the GPU?

ReplyQuote
Arthur44
(@arthur44)
January 27, 2017 6:34 pm  

I know that you wrote that you are not interested in using Windows but I'm asking just in case you changed your mind. Did you try to run games such as Battlefield 1 in Bootcamp ?

ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member
January 27, 2017 8:02 pm  

Thanks to Dschijn's instructions and Morv verifying them working on another forum it is now clear what I need for powering Akitio Thunder3 via barrel plug and Rx 470 nitro+ via it's 8-pin Pcie socket with Dell DA-2. Please correct me if this does not work:

2 x 6 pin PCIe splitter(1x6 pin to 2x6(+2) pin), one plugged into the DA-2, one end of it is cut of to use the cables for the barrel plug(3 cables each for 12v and GND) and the other end extends and splits again with the 2nd cable. Paperclip to activate the DA-2

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
February 16, 2017 7:50 pm  

UPDATE: there are issues with TB3 connection and Radeon cards, so for now i discourage anyone to build this setup. I was able to boot after many many tries. I switched to Nvidia GTX 780ti and it runs faaaaster and boots every time. I will post result tomorrow.

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member
February 17, 2017 11:34 am  

@ikir Nice! Interesting too see how 780 Ti compares to RX 480 Nitro+. I changed to Akitio TB2 and hope it will work and also with FCPX. Both Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and Thunder2 are on their way, should receive then on next Wednesday 🙂

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
February 17, 2017 1:06 pm  

@kukkis

GTX 780 Ti performance are crazy!

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2016-13-mbp-gtx780-ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-thunder3-macos-10-12-3-ikir/

PS: FinalCut X is working with this setup!!!

enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
February 17, 2017 1:40 pm  

So for now GTX 780 Ti is the best for macOS, if someone is interested I add games chart:

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
kukkis
(@kukkis)
Trusted Member
February 17, 2017 4:14 pm  

@ikir: Awesome, that is really great news that also FCPX works with 780 ti 🙂 OpenGL indeed looks a lot better than with Rx480 but openCL which FCPX uses is a bit behind. Will definitely consider this card if my updated setup does not start working.

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
barefeats
(@barefeats)
March 3, 2017 1:37 pm  

What is the "Optional run script for unlocking all Baffin  units to boooooooost OpenCL" and where do I get it? 

Also I heard that the RX 480 works fine under Sierra 10.12.2 but not with 10.12.3. Your thoughts?

ikir liked
ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member
March 4, 2017 7:56 am  

@barefeats

Hi Rob it is a pleasure to see you there! Thanks for joining!

yeah with 10.2.3 there are many issue at boot with Radeon and Thunderbolt 3. So i given up and switched to Nvidia GTX 780 Ti which works much more better in macOS also performance are much better too.

I can send you the script, anyway there is a thread made by goalque here which explain how to create it, search Baffin.

Check these threads:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mega-multi-egpu-benchmark-gtx-780-ti-980-980-ti/

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-2016-13-mbp-gtx780-ti32gbps-tb3-akitio-thunder3-macos-10-12-3-ikir/

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 7, 2017 5:57 pm  

hello ikir
do you use Final Cut Pro X?
Can you do BruceX benchmark with and without RX 480?
http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/
https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/
Cheers

See here.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev