Setup & Software Discussions
MacBook Pro 13-inch (Late 2013) + Sapphire RX 580 nitro+ @ TB2 + Razer Core X [T...

MacBook Pro 13-inch (Late 2013) + Sapphire RX 580 nitro+ @ TB2 + Razer Core X [TB ISSUE]  

RSS

ChrisH
(@chrish)

Dear community,
I'm facing difficulties setting up an eGPU over Thunderbolt 2 under macOS with PurgeWrangler.
(Besides: A year ago I set up a working system with an Akito Node Pro and a Nvidia GTX 1080 TI in my office. I no longer use the setup, but it has encouraged me to set up an eGPU at home.)

Components:

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580 8GB

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5 m)

MacBook Pro 13-inch (Late 2013)
macOS 10.14.6

PurgeWrangler (5.1.3)

External Display via DP to miniDP.

The Razer Core X is detected in the Thunderbolt Device Tree. When I connect it with the MacBook Pro the Razer Core X fires up its fan and the GPU lights up its LEDs. PurgeWrangler is installed and set-up correctly. All Pre-Requisites are fulfilled. 

However the Anomaly Detection says "Discrete GPU: None" and the automate-eGPU script "Thunderbolt device is connected, but no external GPUs detected.".

I have no success in getting the eGPU detected.

That probably indicates faulty hardware or a problem with the PSU. I re-assembled the set-up already a couple of times and made sure every power connector is properly connected. 
According to the manufacturer, the card needs 500 watts and one x PCIE 8 pin and one x PCIE 6 pin power connector. All this is fulfilled by the Razer Core X.

Has anyone ever had similar problems and advice on how to move on and what to try?

Any Hints are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Razer Core X; GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 nitro+ OC; MacBook Pro 13-inch (late 2013); not working currently

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Is the Sapphire RX 580 nitro+ verified working in another system? If it’s a used card, I’d recommend flashing the stock vBIOS to make sure there’s no compatibility issues.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
ChrisH
(@chrish)

It was bought used from an (assumingly) functioning system. Flashing the stock vBIOS is a good point!  Don't have a desktop machine to test the card or flash the vBIOS though. I'll try to contact a workshop to test and do it for me. 

Since the Razer Core X is recognised correctly in the device tree, I assume there is no issue with it. (Unless I unlikely have bad luck with the PSU.)

Thanks for the tip!

This is what I get by running system_profiler, but it seems all to be normal:

Thunderbolt:
 Thunderbolt Bus:
      Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
      Device Name: MacBook Pro
      UID: 0x0001000F03F4E3C0
      Route String: 0
      Firmware Version: 17,2
      Domain UUID: 2992B9B2-866B-F951-91DE-2BE8A50CCA9F
      Port:
          Link Status: 0x1 / 0x2
          Speed: Up to 20 / 10 Gb/s x1
          Current Link Width: 0x1
          Receptacle: 1
          Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.11.0
      Port:
          Link Status: 0x7
          Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1
          Receptacle: 2
          Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.11.0
        Core X:
          Vendor Name: Razer
          Device Name: Core X
          Vendor ID: 0x127
          Device ID: 0x1
          Device Revision: 0x1
          UID: 0x0127B7DF34C2B600
          Route String: 2
          Firmware Version: 33,1
          Port (Upstream):
              Link Status: 0x7 / 0x2
              Speed: Up to 40 / 10 Gb/s x1
              Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.35.0
2019-08-11 21:58:37.538 system_profiler[1897:196801] SPUSBDevice: IOCreatePlugInInterfaceForService failed 0xe00002be
This post was modified 4 months ago

Razer Core X; GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 nitro+ OC; MacBook Pro 13-inch (late 2013); not working currently

ReplyQuote
ChrisH
(@chrish)

I got the GPU tested and there is no issue with it. It's verified working in another system.  Leaves me with the

• Thunderbolt connection (new equipment though)
  • Razer Core X (displayed correctly in system report though)
  • Software (PurgeWrangler is proven to work on my system though and seems foolproof)

ReplyQuote
ChrisH
(@chrish)

I could narrow down the problem! It is the Thunderbolt connection. When I rotated the adapter 180°, it worked 'like a charm' for a couple of seconds. But the connection wasn't stable. I cleaned all Thunderbolt ports but the problem is still there. Either it's the adapter which is faulty or the connector of the Razer Core X. (which seems to be normal from the inside though)

My first suspect is the adapter, I'll try to replace it. Or is anybody else knowing similar problems with a loose Thunderbolt port on the Razer Core X?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I currently have one Thunderbolt 2 Mac (2013 Mac Pro) to test with eGPU. Prior to 10.14.4 the Thunderbolt connection seemed to be very reliable. Lately with newer 10.14.4+ and 10.15 Beta builds, I have to connect the Thunderbolt 2 cable to the back of the Mac Pro last to make sure the eGPU works.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ChrisH liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage In my case, experience has been flaky on officially supported machines too, especially on 10.14.6. Sometimes eGPU just doesn't work if booting with it plugged in (need to unplug and re-plug), and worst of all, the left port closer to trackpad sometimes just drops connection to my hard drive (does not occur in Windows, so likely not a hardware problem). I think 10.14.3 was the smoothest Mojave experience with only mostly minor issues.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ChrisH and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisH
(@chrish)

Trying a new adapter didn't change the situation. Very interesting that TB2 seems to be broken since 10.14.3+. My weird situation right now:

1. I plug in my TB2-cable + adapter. No GPU detection, no GPU-fan movements. But Razer Core X is recognised in Thunderbolt device tree.
  2. Plug in the adapter upside down: Unstable GPU detection, GPU-fan movements, worked for a couple of seconds. But Razer Core X is not recognised by system reports anymore.

I'll try to investigate more in this direction. Could replace the cable also, but I also think it's a software problem now. Maybe experimenting with down- or upgrading is the only chance atm. Or the very unlikely case, the Razer Core X TB3 input is broken.

ReplyQuote