MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + eGPU + Monitor(s) setup

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 15" 2017 + eGPU + Monitor(s) setup  

RSS

friscofresh
(@friscofresh)

Hi guys I already posted this question on reddit but I just stumbled upon this forum full of enthusiasts so I am sure you can help me out here:

Basically I saved up some cash to upgrade my complete MBP graphics setup.

Since this topic can be quite a rabbit hole to dig into and since I am sure that there are already people out there who are experts -

I would love to receive some recommendations for **encolsures, GPUs and monitors**.

**My Specs**

- MacBook Pro 15" 2017, i7-7700HQ
- macOS Catalina latest version

**My Wishlist**

- Enclosure

Ideally, it should act as a USB hub and power supply for my MBP at the same time as supporting a suitable GPU obviously

- GPU

I need a powerful GPU mostly needed for gaming. I'd be stoked if I could play the latest AAA games at med-high settings, at 60FPS

Based on my (little) research, it seems like the RX 5700XT would be suited best for my usecase?

- Monitor(s)

Either 2xmonitor or 1xUltrawide monitor. No TN panels please.

- Budget

Preferrably 1500 USD for everything, can be stretched to max 2000 USD.

- Misc Questions

1. Apple only supports certain gpus oficially. How is the support for other gpus? What about running them on Windows via Bootcamp?

2. Can an eGPU be used with a VM such as Parrallels? (so i wouldn't have to boot to Windows when I would want to play a game e.g)

Thanks for reading this through, any help/recommendations would be much appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@friscofresh

Wait until Fall. For gaming, next-gen cards from AMD and Nvidia will be worth the wait. 

Windows is a big headache. Spring update 2004 might make things easier. But maybe not. 

This post was modified 1 week ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
friscofresh
(@friscofresh)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@friscofresh

Wait until Fall. For gaming, next-gen cards from AMD and Nvidia will be worth the wait. 

Windows is a big headache. Spring update 2004 might make things easier. But maybe not. 

My rational side of my brain would be very much agreeing with you, however I don't really want to wait, since I am not only planning to use this graphics boost for gaming but also for daily macOS tasks such as Photoshop, Illustrator & Final Cut Pro..

Anyway, I have posted sort of an updated status of my search on reddit which I'll be dharing with you guys as well:

For the enclosure I will most probably go with Core X, as I was able to snag a good deal on a separate USB hub.
GPU is a tricky one. I am currently leaning towards the RX 5700XT as the Radeon VII is priced at ~650 USD (on a sale) where I live. And since the 5700XT is 200 USD cheaper I am still looking at benchmark to justify the purchase of the VII..
Good thing you mention SSD, I bought a Samsunng EVO 550 a year ago and was planning to install Windows on it. Wasn't sure if I would face any performance issues first, but from what I've heard and read it's 100% stable, even ingame performance is not largely effected.
Did my homework for the monitor as well, will most probably get a 144Hz/1440P IPS panel from either Asus or LG.
I didn't mention this in my OP, but I already have 2 4K/60Hz panels (albeit TN) which I will use on each side. Was planning to sell them but I think this configuration makes sense for me so I'll keep them.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote