MacBook Pro 16" 2019 and MSi RX 570 Gaming X 4GB - High Idle Power Issue/Clock S...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 and MSi RX 570 Gaming X 4GB - High Idle Power Issue/Clock Stuck at Full  

RSS

liminalsunset
(@liminalsunset)

As per title.

I have a Razer Core X Chroma and this MSI RX 570 GAMING X 4GB graphics card installed, with stock VBIOS. The enclosure and card work fine for about 3-4 hours, after which the GPU clock will get stuck at the maximum frequency (1.28 GHz) and the memory at the maximum frequency (~1.7GHz).

This causes the card to pull 80W instead of 29W, even when it is doing nothing, and this is a huge waste of power as this card stays running all the time. I only have this because without an eGPU, using an external monitor on this laptop causes the internal GPU to consume 18W for no reason, causing the computer to become hot and loud.

Is this a known issue? Will another RX 570 from another brand resolve this, or is there any way to use a card with lower power draw? The card functions fine otherwise.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 Base + Razer Core X Chroma + MSI RX570 GAMING X 4GB

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@liminalsunset

Excuse me that I cannot contribute to an answer.

Here is mine: Does the use of the enclosure with an external monitor keep the dGPU silent and the MB "cold"?

I am using a PowerColor Mini Pro with a Radeon RX 570 and it keeps the MB/eGPU neither silent nor cooler at all.

Cheers

Hans

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
liminalsunset
(@liminalsunset)

I have found that using the eGPU, at least when it is first plugged in, will stop the internal GPU of the Mac from clocking up the RAM and running at 18W. This significantly decreases the heat and power consumption. The eGPU itself can get warm under load, but usually consumes only 24 W idling.

Keep in mind that some applications may still be running on the internal GPU. Try to go to System Preferences > Displays and make sure you've dragged the menu bar icon from the internal display to the display driven by the eGPU. This sets the primary display for applications to use. 

Hardware wise, it may help to make sure the fan in the enclosure is running as needed, usually exhausting air is better, and moving enough air such that the enclosure stays cool.

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 Base + Razer Core X Chroma + MSI RX570 GAMING X 4GB

ReplyQuote