MacBook Pro 16" 2019 + rEFInd. Internal screen not detected when switching to in...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 16" 2019 + rEFInd. Internal screen not detected when switching to intel graphics.  

RSS

Sven Mos
(@sven_mos)

Hey Guys,

I hope I'm allowed to ask this question here. It's not really Thunderbolt related.
I just got a MacBook Pro 2019 16" in with i9-9980HK Intel UHD Graphics 630 and RX5500M 8GB.
I installed rEFInd and set the apple_OS_version flag in the config. When I use the GPU switch cmd files and switch to the integrated GPU my MacBook screen stays black.
Connecting an external screen shows me that all the drivers are installed correctly and both Graphics Cards are detected. But it's only showing my external display. I'm running the latest drivers in windows and tried both the integrated EFI spoof option in rEFInd as well as the efi file before loading windows. The result stays the same. The integrated GPU is detected but the internal screen does not show anything.
Windows is loading in the background however since the keyboard backlight and touchbar start to light up and show display for my lighting and function keys.

Please assist.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@sven_mos The 2018 & 2019 MacBook Pros (both 15" & 16") have non-functional Intel iGPU. Even if you force activate the iGPU and it appears in Device Manager, it doesn't work with driving the internal display. You would see these white dots all over the screen then it eventually goes black. The only way we found to use the eGPU for internal display acceleration is to have a functional dGPU. It's fairly easy with an Nvidia eGPU because the drivers are separate for Radeon Pro dGPU and Nvidia eGPU. With both dGPU and eGPU being Radeon cards, you'd need modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. At the moment @mat_hd has not released a version with support for the RP 5300M/5500M in the 2019 16" MacBook Pro just yet.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Sven Mos
(@sven_mos)

Hey Itsage,

That is indeed the experience i'm having.
Thank you very much for the clarification. 
Is there any chance this wil resolve in the future for the intel GPU?

Also i'm planning to set a Vega 64 that i still have lying around in an EGPU cage. Do i need rEFInd for use of the edited radeon drivers? I guess not since this is only needed in Windows?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @itsage

The only way we found to use the eGPU for internal display acceleration is to have a functional dGPU. It's fairly easy with an Nvidia eGPU because the drivers are separate for Radeon Pro dGPU and Nvidia eGPU.

I'm a bit curious about this @itsage. On Intel only computers with Nvidia eGPU it will utilize Optimus for internal display acceleration (or at least something similar to Optimus). Do I understand correctly and Nvidia really supports Optimus to be used with a Radeon dGPU rather than an Intel iGPU?

How To Undervolt Your GPU, Login Screen - GPU Driver Workaround

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB [7th,2C,U], macOS 11 (not in regular use with eGPU, mostly for testing)
2019 Intel NUC10i7FNK [10th,6C,U], Windows 10 20H2
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC) - Custom Case solution (TBD)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@the_livy AMD has its own version for graphics switching which is called XConnect. Microsoft also provides graphics switching since Win10 1803 with Hybrid Graphics which can make the eGPU accelerate the internal display through either iGPU or dGPU. You can read more on graphics switching in Windows at - https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/#egfx

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Trusted Member

@itsage I'm aware of the different types of graphics switching methods. Sorry I didn't make it clear enough what I meant. I was actually wondering about you saying that internal display acceleration works well with a 16" MacBook Pro and Nvidia eGPUs. If I'm honenst, I didn't think about Windows' ability to take care of graphics switching these days. Is this how internal display acceleration works for AMD dGPU + Nvidia eGPU then, using Windows to take care of graphics switching rather than XConnect/Optimus? I'm mostly curious because you said you uninstalled the AMD driver in your first Bootcamp eGPU build with that laptop - which is usually not the best solution for Windows Desktop usage - and because I'm also considering to switch to the 16" MacBook Pro.

How To Undervolt Your GPU, Login Screen - GPU Driver Workaround

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB [7th,2C,U], macOS 11 (not in regular use with eGPU, mostly for testing)
2019 Intel NUC10i7FNK [10th,6C,U], Windows 10 20H2
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC) - Custom Case solution (TBD)

ReplyQuote
Babak Habibi
(@babak_habibi)

Posted by: @itsage

@sven_mos The 2018 & 2019 MacBook Pros (both 15" & 16") have non-functional Intel iGPU. Even if you force activate the iGPU and it appears in Device Manager, it doesn't work with driving the internal display. You would see these white dots all over the screen then it eventually goes black. The only way we found to use the eGPU for internal display acceleration is to have a functional dGPU. It's fairly easy with an Nvidia eGPU because the drivers are separate for Radeon Pro dGPU and Nvidia eGPU. With both dGPU and eGPU being Radeon cards, you'd need modified drivers from bootcampdrivers.com. At the moment @mat_hd has not released a version with support for the RP 5300M/5500M in the 2019 16" MacBook Pro just yet.

I get the same screen with Intel drivers and force switching to iGPU but I CAN get the internal display to work and be driven by the iGPU with Microsoft drivers on my MBP 16,1. Problem is higher latencies with Windows hybrid graphics and the pain of having to configure individual executables to use the eGPU which doesn't even always work as intended with multiple executables involved.

XConnect works perfectly fine for me with dGPU disabled and Intel drivers for iGPU, the internal display remains blank though which is livable.

Razer Core X, Radeon 6900 XT

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@babak_habibi, Your response has multiple contradicting statements. You said your MBP's internal display remains blank/looks similar to what my photo shows. Also you said the internal display can work with Windows Hybrid graphics. I don't recall the Microsoft basic drivers for Intel iGPU provide acceleration.

ReplyQuote
Babak Habibi
(@babak_habibi)

@itsage, ok that's almost certainly me! let me try again Smile

Three scenarios here:

1. Intel driver for iGPU
    Forcing iGPU for internal display using the 0xbb's script
    dGPU disabled

I get the exact same screen at boot as yours, it eventually turns blank and I can't get anywhere from there.

2. Microsoft basic driver for iGPU
    dGPU disabled and eGPU connected

Internal display works. Windows hybrid graphics and I have to specify individual executables to use 'High Performance' graphics (eGPU). Windows almost always defaults to iGPU and it's totally useless.

3. Intel driver for iGPU
    dGPU disabled and eGPU connected

blank internal display (but not those patterns), XConnect works and system tray icon appears showing pretty much any executable running.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote