Notifications
Clear all

MacBook pro 2014 15" GT750m not detecting Akitio Node in Windows 10  

of  3
  RSS

j_low
(@j_low)

Hi,

I am very new to egpu setup and has recently bought an Akitio node with Gtx 1070. It is running through apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter.

I want to run this setup in bootcamp, but the thunderbolt device is not detected by windows.

I have tried both turning on the egpu while booting into windows and hot plug method, but it still would not work. The thunderbolt device is still not detected even after installing drivers from intel,  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23742/Thunderbolt-Intel-Thunderbolt-driver.

Does anyone know how to make windows detect akitio node in windows 10?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Image 2

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

See the detection techniques used at https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/ including running 'automated-egpu.sh -a' in macOS prior to booting Windows.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
j_low
(@j_low)

Hi nando4,

I have tried running 'automated-egpu.sh -a' in macOS and boot using the following sequence.

1. Boot into MacOS with no eGPU connected

2. Run the automate eGPU script with the -a flag.

3. Shutdown

4. Unplug the power to the eGPU THEN plug the TB cable into the Mac. 

5. Boot to the boot manager screen

6. When the mouse becomes free to move (takes around 5 seconds) plug the power into the eGPU

7. if it doesn't freeze continue to boot into Windows.

But the egpu still could not be detected. There is still no thunderbolt device appear in system devices. Could you please help me? Thank you in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

The -a mode is not beneficial with your MBP model on Windows. I would suggest combining gpu-switch and apple_set_os.efi.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
j_low
(@j_low)

I have applied both gpu-switch and apple_set_os.efi on my laptop. The integrated gpu is working now, but the external gpu still could not be detected. Do you have any idea what went wrong? Thank you

Capture

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I don't remember the correct order but anyway, your target is to use Iris Pro (integrated) & eGPU, so disable 750M in device manager.

It is important which Windows 10 version you use. I recommend 10.0.10586. The anniversary update enables fast startup and is not the best candidate.

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
j_low
(@j_low)

I have turned off the 750M in my laptop and it is running off the 5200 intel graphics now. The windows 10 version I am using now is 10586.494. I have checked that the fast starup option is turned off. 

I did a startup with the egpu turned on, but there is no boot chime just dark screen. Then I tried turning on the egpu after I see the windows boot cursor comes on, but it freezes a few seconds later in the boot screen. I also tried hot plug method, but there is no sign of egpu and thunderbolt device in the device manager.

Is there a sequence that I have to follow to reveal the egpu in device manager? Should I hot plug or boot with egpu turned on? Please help me. Thank you.

Capture

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Yep, your Mac is too old to support hot-plugging. I recall there is a firmware POST issue with the 750M equipped MBP if another Nvidia card is present. Your may have a chance with an AMD or Kepler based card.

ReplyQuote
j_low
(@j_low)

May I know whats the chance of getting a RX480 work with my laptop? Is there any example that has worked with this particular MBP?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I don't know.. I remember some with Maxwell, but the early boot process wasn’t convenient. When it worked, the path was gpu-switch integrated.bat -> shut down -> apple_set_os.efi, and then click "show hidden devices" on the view menu.

ReplyQuote
 of  3