MacBook Pro 2018 & Gaming Box RX 580 Sleep Issue  

RSS

doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 2, 2018 1:02 pm  

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 13", and I recently purchased a GIGABYTE Gaming Box RX 580. I've had issues with putting the laptop to sleep while connected to the Gaming Box from Day 1. I've searched all over and contacted GIGABYTE, but they have not been very helpful (apparently the Gaming Box is not officially supported for use with MacBook Pro, even though their website clearly advertises it as the "Perfect Companion to MacBook Pro". As of this writing, they've removed the phrase and replaced it with "Introducing RX580 Gaming Box"... maybe trying to cover up false advertisement?)

Basically, if I put my laptop to sleep while connected to the Gaming Box, the Gaming Box would shut off after a few seconds, but at the same time, it appears to be disconnecting from the laptop briefly. If the Gaming Box is the only source of power for the laptop, it will wake up the laptop when it is re-connected in about 7-9 seconds, and I'll see a notification saying that the eGPU was not disconnected properly. If I have another power source connected to the laptop, the Gaming Box shuts down, and after 7-9 seconds it will power on for about 50 seconds without waking the laptop, then shuts down again. The off/on cycle goes on indefinitely. If I wake the laptop, I'll see as many eGPU disconnect notification as the times Gaming Box shut down (i.e. 3 shut downs before waking means 3 separate notification). If I have any hard drive connected to the USB port on the Gaming Box, it'll also tell me that the hard drive was disconnected inappropriately as well.

I've tested this with a fresh install of High Sierra 10.13.6 and a fresh install of Mojave 10.14.1, and the same thing happens. Same behavior whether the laptop lid is closed or open. I've got the eGPU working on Windows 10 under Bootcamp, and this sleep issue is not present while on Windows (Gaming Box shuts down when laptop goes to sleep, and only turns on when laptop wakes up). Only other problem I have with the Gaming Box is that I can't get the LED controller to work on Windows under Bootcamp, but they now have a Mac app that controls the LED behavior, so I'm not too concerned about that for now, though I'd be interested to know if anyone else got the LED controller app to work on Bootcamp. Otherwise the graphics card seems to be working fine.

Is anyone else experiencing these symptoms with Gaming Box RX 580? Is it something to do with the MacBook Pro 2018's T2 chip or its sleep behavior? I would appreciate any help!

In case it matters, here are the specs on my laptop:
MacBook Pro 2018, 13"
2.7GHz Intel Core i7 (8559U)
16GB RAM
1TB SSD

Here is what I see under Thunderbolt Bus info:
GAMING BOX:

Vendor Name: GIGABYTE
Device Name: GAMING BOX
Vendor ID: 0xED
Device ID: 0xB009
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x00ED5F31E5B8A100
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 27.27
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x2
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0

Thanks in advance.

System: MacBook Pro 13" 2018, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB
eGPU: Gigabyte Gaming Box RX 580
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 2, 2018 2:15 pm  

UPDATE:
So I might have fixed this issue with a firmware update (I know, soon after the original post)! I downloaded the PSU firmware update from GIGABYTE website (F1.1, which supposedly turns off the PSU fans after the system shuts down). I updated the PSU firmware using Windows in Bootcamp, and now the Gaming Box stays off while the laptop is sleeping. I'll keep the Gaming Box connected overnight and see what happens. Ironically, the PSU fan still stays on even when the laptop is sleeping or turned off as long as the Gaming Box is connected to the laptop.

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
5656hcx
(@5656hcx)
November 2, 2018 3:09 pm  

How can you update the PSU firmware? I tried to update but the tool kept saying "connecting AP...." and just failed. I also tried to install the latest BIOS but met similar problem, updater failed to detect my gaming box.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 2, 2018 7:51 pm  
Posted by: 5656hcx

How can you update the PSU firmware? I tried to update but the tool kept saying "connecting AP...." and just failed. I also tried to install the latest BIOS but met similar problem, updater failed to detect my gaming box.

All I did was launch the .bat file in Bootcamp with the eGPU connected and working (i.e. driving an external display). I was not able to update the Thunderbolt firmware, which I'm guessing is because the Thunderbolt driver is from Apple's Bootcamp support files (it gives me Service Not Available error). Do you have a similar setup and sleep issues? Were you able to get the eGPU working in Bootcamp?

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
November 2, 2018 10:55 pm  

I just went through this with my Gaming Box RX580 today and updated my Build Guide post:
2017-13-touchbar-macbook-pro-amd-rx580-tb3-gigabyte-gaming-box-macos-10-13-4

I updated the PS fan firmware and the Thunderbolt firmware today. The PS update was the easiest, simply running the batch file when using the eGPU under Windows.

The Thunderbolt firmware was more complicated (I had to install different Thunderbolt drivers and temporarily remove the GPU card from the enclosure). The link above provides my experience and there is more details in this thread:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/guide-update-thunderbolt-3-egpu-enclosure-firmware-in-boot-camp/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
5656hcx
(@5656hcx)
November 3, 2018 12:41 am  

I was able to flash the H2D firmware under the instruction of this post. But I can not flash PSU fan firmware under the same environment, it seems the updater failed to detect the box.

ReplyQuote
mar_kelp
(@mar_kelp)
Eminent Member
November 3, 2018 1:32 am  

Can you post the exact error that is presented when the PSU fan firmware fails?

I made a simple mistake the first time I tried to run the PSU fan firmware update. I downloaded the compressed file from the gigabyte support site, then opened the .zip file (not extract) and tried to launch the .bat from within the .zip file. This failed with an error "The system cannot find the file specified.". Once I extracted both files from the archive to a folder and ran the .bat from there, it worked fine. 

Rookie mistake on my part...

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 3, 2018 7:31 pm  

UPDATE:
After updating the PSU firmware, I left the Gaming Box connected to the laptop and put the laptop to sleep before going to bed. I also had couple external drives attached to the Gaming Box overnight. I woke up couple times in the night, and I noticed that the Gaming Box was powered on (with LED flashing and main fans going) sometime between 4 and 6 hours after I put the laptop to sleep, but the laptop was still in sleep (as far as I could tell). The Gaming Box was still running when I got up in the morning, so it must have been on half of the night. Also this morning, I put the laptop to sleep, and noticed that the Gaming Box was on again after couple hours. Not sure what's going on there. Great news is that I did not get any notification saying that the eGPU or the drives were disconnected! So the PSU firmware did fix my issue. It also has not made any loud fan noise when putting laptop to sleep.

Also, I tested the Gaming Box with my friend's PC, and it does indeed completely shutdown the PSU fan when the PC is sleeping. Sadly PSU fan stays on if it's connected to a Mac while it's sleeping, whether it's running macOS or Windows under Boot Camp.

Bootcamp Windows 10

mar_kelp liked
ReplyQuote
schneizel
(@schneizel)
November 4, 2018 11:50 am  

Hi Sir, have you tried running RX580 with MBP's internal display (MacOS or Windows) ?

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 4, 2018 1:01 pm  

No on macOS, but yes on Windows. I'm still on High Sierra, and I haven't tried the set-eGPU script to enable the eGPU to drive the internal display. But I believe the feature is now natively supported on Mojave. I don't have the need to use the eGPU for internal display at the moment. For Windows, I just had to disable the iGPU, and the eGPU took over driving the internal display.

Bootcamp Windows 10

mar_kelp liked
ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
November 7, 2018 2:38 am  

Im slightly confused. There are actually 2 things to update with the RX 580? Two firmwares?

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 7, 2018 12:23 pm  
Posted by: dream3

Im slightly confused. There are actually 2 things to update with the RX 580? Two firmwares?

Actually there are 3 things you can update on the Gaming Box, which can be found on GIGABYTE's website here:

1. F1.1, which is the PSU firmware, which is supposed to turn off the PSU fan when the host shuts down (or sleeps). It doesn't seem to be working for MacBook Pro (i.e. PSU fan stays on even when laptop is sleeping or shut down, as long as Gaming Box is connected to the laptop), but updating to this firmware did fix my issue, where Gaming Box was disconnecting/reconnecting during sleep, which prevented the laptop from staying asleep.
  2. F1.0_H2D, which is the Thunderbolt firmware that improves host to device speed by prioritizing data transfer to the Gaming Box over data from the Gaming Box. I believe the default firmware is F1.0, which is for those who want the in/out to be more "balanced". You need a workaround to update this firmware in Bootcamp as mentioned by mar_kelp above, but straightforward if you have access to a PC for Thunderbolt.
  3. F2/F11/F21, which are the BIOS updates. There are 3 versions depending on which memory brand it uses. It's supposed to increase stability. I tried to update this on a PC, but the VGA @BIOS tool couldn't detect the Gaming Box, so I haven't figured out how to do this. The graphics card seems to be working fine for me, so I haven't bothered to figure it out.

Are you having issues with sleep while connected to Gaming Box?

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
November 12, 2018 4:58 pm  
Posted by: doxadeo

Actually there are 3 things you can update on the Gaming Box, which can be found on GIGABYTE's website here:

1. F1.1, which is the PSU firmware, which is supposed to turn off the PSU fan when the host shuts down (or sleeps). It doesn't seem to be working for MacBook Pro (i.e. PSU fan stays on even when laptop is sleeping or shut down, as long as Gaming Box is connected to the laptop), but updating to this firmware did fix my issue, where Gaming Box was disconnecting/reconnecting during sleep, which prevented the laptop from staying asleep.
  2. F1.0_H2D, which is the Thunderbolt firmware that improves host to device speed by prioritizing data transfer to the Gaming Box over data from the Gaming Box. I believe the default firmware is F1.0, which is for those who want the in/out to be more "balanced". You need a workaround to update this firmware in Bootcamp as mentioned by mar_kelp above, but straightforward if you have access to a PC for Thunderbolt.
  3. F2/F11/F21, which are the BIOS updates. There are 3 versions depending on which memory brand it uses. It's supposed to increase stability. I tried to update this on a PC, but the VGA @BIOS tool couldn't detect the Gaming Box, so I haven't figured out how to do this. The graphics card seems to be working fine for me, so I haven't bothered to figure it out.

Are you having issues with sleep while connected to Gaming Box?

Thanks for the reply but how do I know which ones my RX 580 box needs?

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
November 12, 2018 7:30 pm  

Thanks for the reply but how do I know which ones my RX 580 box needs?

Are you having any issues with the Gaming Box? If not, probably none of it. If you're having issues with the laptop going to sleep, try the F1.1. If you don't plan to use the USB hub on the Gaming Box, you can try F1.0_H2D. I'm not sure about the BIOS though.

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
brambulcke
(@brambulcke)
December 9, 2018 12:19 pm  

I have a similar experience as doxadeo. 

I'm running the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box combined with a MacBook Pro 13 inch without touch bar.

I bought both the laptop and the egpu this summer to drive three external 4k displays (one LG 27UD58 and two LG 27UD59) through DisplayPort.

I read and viewed a lot of reviews before buying. Most reviews were positive. I was thinking of buying a 15 inch MacBook Pro to run three external displays but I liked the idea of a smaller laptop combined with the power of a GPU only at home.

Now, my experience! Performance wise the machine works well: it offers the possibility to drive lots of pixels and multiple screens. The egpu has three DisplayPort connections.

But right from the start I noticed some real drawbacks:

• The two little 40mm PSU fans are really annoying and loud. They are high tone and always on. I don't understand this choice: Gigabyte should have looked for a smarter design. They can state they have a nice 130mm GPU fan but the party is spoiled by the two 40mm PSU fans. When it comes to noise, I'm lucky because I can put the egpu in another room. But still: I don't understand all these reviewers don't mention this as a real negative.
  • Disconnecting is not seamless at all. For example, I'm working on a project with ten applications open and I'm heading to a meeting. When I click Disconnect GPU in the top bar, this crashes all the applications and I have to force disconnect all the applications. When I close all the applications out before disconnecting there is often a QuickLookUIService that needs to be force closed. I guess this is a general drawback with eGPU's on MacOS but it's still a drawback not being mentioned!
  • When the MacBook is put to sleep or powered off, the PSU fan of the eGPU keeps spinning. They supposedly do this so the eGPU can charge the computer but does it get that hot to power a computer, also in a cold room? Because of that, I disconnect my eGPU during the night.
  • Sleep / wake is buggy. This has been my main issue with the device. I have had some hard crashed trying to wake the device, with the ultimate workaround unplugging the power source from the eGPU. I changed some OS settings like preventing sleep when the display is off, preventing hard disk sleep and disabling Power Nap, combined with disabling File Vault (this really annoyed me because I would really like to turn this on in case my laptop would get stolen for example). These settings improved my experience, although it's still hard to find the direct cause of the problems. The MacOS Mojave update also seemed to improve my situation.

The fixes I would like to see: no PSU fan noise when my laptop is in sleep or off and proper sleep / wake support. Maybe a firmware update could fix these issues.

I still believe in the big potential of eGPU's on MacOS but I believe we're still not there yet. This Gigabyte unit is the recommended unit on different sites but it doesn't work flawlessly. I hope future units will get better, both hardware wise as usability wise.

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
December 9, 2018 6:04 pm  
Posted by: brambulcke
  • When the MacBook is put to sleep or powered off, the PSU fan of the eGPU keeps spinning. They supposedly do this so the eGPU can charge the computer but does it get that hot to power a computer, also in a cold room? Because of that, I disconnect my eGPU during the night.

The fixes I would like to see: no PSU fan noise when my laptop is in sleep or off and proper sleep / wake support. Maybe a firmware update could fix these issues.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree completely. I've contacted Gigabyte about the PSU fan staying on while the computer is sleeping or turned off. They said it should turn off completely and want me to send in my unit to get it checked out. Unfortunately I'm currently living in Europe, so I can't send it in at the moment. I'm also skeptical that it's a fault on my device, since this issue seems to be universal. I have yet to hear from a single Gaming Box user with a Mac saying that PSU fan shuts off completely while connected. At this point, I only use it for gaming under bootcamp, so I just connect the Gaming Box only when needed.

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
January 12, 2019 7:23 am  
Posted by: brambulcke

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree completely. I've contacted Gigabyte about the PSU fan staying on while the computer is sleeping or turned off. They said it should turn off completely and want me to send in my unit to get it checked out. Unfortunately I'm currently living in Europe, so I can't send it in at the moment. I'm also skeptical that it's a fault on my device, since this issue seems to be universal. I have yet to hear from a single Gaming Box user with a Mac saying that PSU fan shuts off completely while connected. At this point, I only use it for gaming under bootcamp, so I just connect the Gaming Box only when needed.

Hey man I finally managed to get my hands on a TB3 laptop.

How exactly do I update the firmware?

And like you said I also cannot update the bios, even being a windows pc, the BIOS upadte app doesnt recognize the gaming box. Did you have any luck with that?

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
January 12, 2019 7:18 pm  

And like you said I also cannot update the bios, even being a windows pc, the BIOS upadte app doesnt recognize the gaming box. Did you have any luck with that?

No luck with the BIOS update, even with a Windows PC. The PSU fan firmware is straight forward. Just unzip the file from GIGABYTE and run the .bat file. The Thunderbolt firmware is also easy to update if you have a PC. I can't remember the details right now, but start by downloading the files from GIGABYTE. There's a work around using Bootcamp, and you can find instructions on this forum, but it seems quite involved.

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote
dream3
(@dream3)
Estimable Member
January 13, 2019 12:12 am  

No luck with the BIOS update, even with a Windows PC. The PSU fan firmware is straight forward. Just unzip the file from GIGABYTE and run the .bat file. The Thunderbolt firmware is also easy to update if you have a PC. I can't remember the details right now, but start by downloading the files from GIGABYTE. There's a work around using Bootcamp, and you can find instructions on this forum, but it seems quite involved.

Gotcha, thanks! But Im still not sure how Im supposed to know whether I need/should get the F1.0_H2D or not. 🙁

ReplyQuote
doxadeo
(@doxadeo)
Eminent Member
January 13, 2019 11:55 am  
Gotcha, thanks! But Im still not sure how Im supposed to know whether I need/should get the F1.0_H2D or not. 🙁

Depends on how you want to use it. If you don't use the USB ports on the Gaming Box, use the F1.0_H2D. If you do use the USB ports, you may want to leave the firmware as is depending on how you use the USB ports.

This post was modified 6 days ago

Bootcamp Windows 10

ReplyQuote