MacBook Pro 2020 +eGPU +RX5700xt +Blender Cycles Problem

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2020 +eGPU +RX5700xt +Blender Cycles Problem  

RSS

Jake Juip
(@jake_juip)

Yesterday I received the Razer Core X with an AMD RX5700 XT Graphics card to use with Blender 2.92. Unfortunately, Cycles will not recognize this eGPU in the Blender System Cycles render device Preferences.

Whenever I instruct Cycles to render with my GPU Compute device, my Mac's fans start whirring, indicating that my integrated GPU is rendering, and not my eGPU.

Does anyone know how to render with an eGPU?

Thanks!

-Jake

MacBook Pro Mid 2020, 13.3 Inch MacBookPro16,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4

eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Chasis

8GB AMD RX5700xt

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

@jake_juip, I don't know Blender Cycles (yet), but in general you either need to tell the app to prefer the eGPU, or if your system has the display plugged into the eGPU and the app is running on it, then it auto-selects the eGPU. Check those first, just in case. Otherwise, I don't know what is going on. (Note: I don't have it checked because my setup is Mac mini -> eGPU -> display, so it isn't needed in my situation.)

prefer eGPU

As of July 24, 2021: 2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580) - Mojave 10.14.6 - (haven't succeeded past Win10 1809)

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@jake_juip, Cycles in Blender Mac is a CPU-only renderer.

(Blender Mac Eevee is a real-time GPU-renderer though)

You can also use the free Beta version of Octane X available on the Mac App Store to import and GPU-render models created in Blender. You’ll need to adjust your materials within Octane X. 

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

cgWerks liked
ReplyQuote