MacBook Pro + Razer Core X Chroma + 5700 XT HELP

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro + Razer Core X Chroma + 5700 XT HELP  

RSS

(@brandonlolz)

Hello,

I just purchased a Razer Core X Chroma and a 5700 XT for my 2017 MacBook Pro 13inch, and having issues on why its not connecting.

I plugged in the monitor via DP to the Razer Core, along with my mouse and keyboard to the USB slots (which are working) and then the thunderbolt cable to the laptop which turns on my monitor and everything seems to be working. But when I go to the About This Mac Section, it shows the graphics card is the internal graphics card "Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB" and has no mention of the 5700 XT graphics card. I am on 10.15.4 OS. 

On the system information, it shows under Graphics/Display- Radeon RX 5700 XT, but I'm not so sure its actually work. If anyone has any info on why on the about this Mac its not showing the correct graphics card I'd greatly appreciate it. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@brandonlolz)

Also, how do I eject the thunderbolt cable correctly? 

I don't see anything on the finder to remove/eject, I'm looking for a method without turning off the laptop then unplugging it. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
jangoloti
(@jangoloti_1)
Estimable Member

Have you checked the Activity Monitor? Do you have a GPU tab with both GPUs? And a specific icon on the menu bar?

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 16 GB 512 GB SSD, Mac Book Pro 2016, HP Z31x, Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 W, Nitro+ RX5700 XT, KFA2 SNPR 1060 6GB eGPU,...

ReplyQuote
(@brandonlolz)

so the eGPU has been working and pretty solid of an upgrade, but having a huge problem since plugging it in last night.  My laptop has shut off 4 times "because of a problem" and restarted and it seems to be because of the egpu because I've never experienced this issue. 

Have no idea what to do, after this happened the 2nd time, I stopped using the egpu, but it has happened 2 more times since. Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@brandonlolz)

So I narrowed the issue to whenever I would run the game I play, with or without the eGPU installed. Computer would auto restart anytime I opened the game. I restored to a back up from 2 days ago running Mojave at the time and not the Catalina OS which I updated to right before plugging in my eGPU with 5700XT card. 

My questions now are: what would happen if I stay on Mojave 10.14.5 and plug in the eGPU, and another question is that Razer told me that the 5700 XT is NOT supported by Apple but everyone on the forum seems to be using the 5700XT/Razer Core Chroma, so I'm confused as to which one is the correct answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as after playing with the eGPU for one night its tough to go back to the stock internal graphics of the MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
JakiChan
(@jakichan)

So, you were on 10.15.4 and then you went back down to 10.14.5? That may be part of the problem since your restoration.  Now if your problems continued after the eGPU was disconnected it's not the eGPU.  I'm afraid you might have to look elsewhere.

Also off, Razer is not correct.  According to Apple's Support site the RX 5700XT:

AMD Radeon RX 5700, 5700 XT, and 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

If you've installed macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later, you can use these graphics cards that are based on the AMD Navi RDNA architecture. Recommended graphics cards include the AMD Radeon RX 5700, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, and AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary.

Recommended Thunderbolt 3 chassis for these graphics cards:

So the Razer Core X plus the RX 5700 XT is fine on 10.5.1. or later.  (And I'm running that very combo on my Mac Mini right now, but I haven't tried any games.). 

Mac Mini 2018 - Razer Core X

ReplyQuote