Macbook Pro retina 10,1 (GT650M) + Vega56 on macOS is possible?

Notifications
Clear all

Macbook Pro retina 10,1 (GT650M) + Vega56 on macOS is possible?  

RSS

rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

I'm about to get one but I don't see any successful setup here. Is there any reason for it not working as an 580 for example?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@rmvz3

Setup should be identical to RX480/580.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
rmvz3
(@rmvz3)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor

Thank you very much. Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Estimable Member

I have that same laptop and a Vega56 in an Akitio Node working well under Mojave and Windows. OS X is easy - combination of PurgeNVDA and PurgeWrangler. Windows 10 was a PITA - had to re-install the whole thing from scratch not using boot camp to get it installed in UEFI mode not MBR mode.

I did have to upgrade the Power Supply of the Akitio Node though, the standard one would crash under heavy strain.

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote