MacMini 2018, Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 won't turn off

Notifications
Clear all

MacMini 2018, Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 won't turn off  

RSS

musico11
(@musico11)

I had a 2012 MacMini and fitted a Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580, which worked well, but the 16 GB ram was just not cutting it anymore, so I got my new 2018 MacMini running Catalina and loaded it up with 64 GB ram. The RX580 works great with the new MacMini, but the only problem I have is that when I put the MacMini to sleep, the RX580 would turn off in about 15 sec, then turn back on again in a few sec, then off, then on, and it just goes on forever. The monitors stay off, so there are no signals coming from the eGPU per se. After a few hrs, when I wake my MacMini, it's pretty hot, and sometimes had crashed. Ironically, the temperature goes down as I start to use it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

MacMini 2018 (i7, 3.2 gHz, 64 GB, 1 TB Flash)
Gigabyte Gaming Box Rx580

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@musico11, This behavior happens with every Mac. Try turning off Power Nap and other settings that may allow activities during sleep.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
musico11
(@musico11)

@itsage, Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try.

ReplyQuote
musico11
(@musico11)

@itsage, nah... Power Nap doesn't seem to be the problem. It's quite random. Sometimes I put the Mac to sleep, and next morning it's cold, eGPU off and ext HDD off. Other times, both the ext HDD and ePGU seem to have run the whole night, and the Mac is hot.

....Googling doesn't seem to get me to the right answers...

ReplyQuote
musico11
(@musico11)

@itsage, After hrs of searching and testing various things I found on Google, it turns out the answer was right under my nose. Well... not really the answer, but the solution. I have "Clean My Mac" installed on my machine, and I just ran a session... I have turned Power Nap back on, kept my HDD plugged in and turned on, the eGPU plugged in, and everything seems to be working fine now for a few days. I'll keep monitoring the situation, but if it comes up again, I'll run Clean My Mac again, and see if indeed it is the good established solution. Btw, I am not affiliated with McPaw (company making Clean My Mac), but I really like it. Really easy to run (few min) and allows me to monitor various parameters in real time.

Cheers, really appreciate the support in this community.

Screen Shot 2020 05 19 at 12.27.42 PM

itsage liked
ReplyQuote