MacMini 2018+eGPU Instability
Hello all. My first post here and my first time working with an eGPU so I appreciate any suggestions. I have a 2018 Mac Mini (see my setup below) and overall I'm enjoying the eGPU experience but I'm just having some general instability issues that I'd like to resolve. This machine is fully used for Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Final Cut. So here are my issues:
1. Wake from sleep. The Mac Mini will go to sleep normally and wake up but about 50% of the time programs will immediately begin freezing and the mouse cursor stutters. If I unplug the Core X the system will be stable again.
2. Boot hang. Again, about 50% of the time a cold boot will bring me to the FileVault login screen then after login the system will hang. This only happens when the Core X is connected. I have considered turning off FileVault and trying it, but thought I ask here first.
3. General system crashes. I can't tie this to any specific program or task. I'll just be working normally (often not even in any demanding application) and the system will hang, shut down, turn back on with fans full speed, then shut off again. I haven't noticed this happening when the Core X isn't connected.
My thoughts are that a lot of these issues are related to the driver instability of the 5700 XT. (Or maybe its my poor choice of an MSI card...) So, are there any troubleshooting steps I should try? Is there something with my setup that might be doing this? Should I just try to snag a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro on eBay and return the 5700 XT?
- MacMini 2018
- MacOS 10.15.4
- 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
- 32GB RAM
- 512GB SSD
- 2TB SanDisk External SSD connected via USB C
- Display: 2x Dell U2720Q (Primary connected via Display Port to 5700XT. The other connected via USB C directly to Mac for boot display.)
1 and 2 are Catalina issues which haven’t been fixed.
So, don’t use Sleep for now. Turn off your display instead.
3 sounds like the card and/or power connector to the card isn’t seated properly. Or your TB3 cable is damaged.
Also, 10.15.4 is buggy. 3 might be due to OS 10.15.4 if that’s what you are running. In which case, upgrade to 10.15.5 when it drops.