Setup & Software Discussions
MacOS 10.14.1 (18B75) cannot use Nvidia EGPU in Bootcamp (Left side Thunderbolt ...

MacOS 10.14.1 (18B75) cannot use Nvidia EGPU in Bootcamp (Left side Thunderbolt 3 port)  

RSS

jake52891
(@jake52891)

After I upgraded my MBP 2018 13inch to MacOS 10.14.1 (18B75), I found Windows OS only can detect my Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070 but not working under the Bootcamp. Can anyone tell me how to fix it ? thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@yuanming_wang)

Same here. 
I think it's because of the update of the EFI firmware.
Is there any ways to downgrade this?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I noticed this behavior too with the latest firmware. What I typically do when there’s detection issue is to uninstall graphics drivers using DDU. Select the “Remove then restart” option in DDU. Once the drivers are all removed, you can hot-plug the eGPU in Windows then download and install the latest graphics drivers.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

This hasn't been my experience. I use the eGPU plugged in prior to boot (no internal display but convenient as I have other peripherals). 10.14.1 made no difference at least on the 2018 15" MBP.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

When I tried to get my egpu to work plugged in at boot-time after 10.14.1 on my 2018 13 inch, I had to disable secure boot.   For whatever reason the egpu does not initialize properly unless I either hotplugged it at the windows logo, or disabled Secure Boot (and possibly enabling external boot support, I did both at the same time).

2018 13 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.14.6
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1903

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Given what I typically do with the scripts, etc. keeping secure boot disabled and enabling external boots was the first thing I did on my MBP :p. I don't think I've ever run the machine without Secure Boot disabled so I suppose I wouldn't know that case. Thanks for pointing this out. Though difficult to see how that is affecting a peripheral. Bad Apple :p

Another issue is with the Aorus Box itself. The firmware is really finicky and this box works much better on the right-side ports for me. The Sonnet on the other hand works much better.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote