macOS 10.15.3 - TERRIBLE 5700XT performance?

Notifications
Clear all

macOS 10.15.3 - TERRIBLE 5700XT performance?  

RSS

jeh72
(@jeh72)

Yesterday I was testing an XFX 5700XT in an Akitio Node, attached to a 2017 mbp 15 running 10.15.3.  I was surprised to find that performance was only about 50%-100% better than the Radeon Pro 560, depending on the game or benchmark, which is way below what this GPU is capable of.  Is the 5700XT not fully supported by macOS?

Performance was much better in bootcamp and setup was a breeze once I replaced the pci.sys file.

I've since returned this card because it was way too tall for my Akitio enclosure, but I was wondering if anyone else is having performance issues with this GPU.

2017 MBP 15, Radeon 560 | Akitio Node + EVGA 980ti FTW

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@jeh72

Nah. You must be running cpu-heavy games.

And there isn’t a reliable Metal-based Mac OS benchmark tool available, so throw out any Navi card benchmarks unless they are Windows benchmarks. (G—-b—— is a bad joke).

My PowerColor 5700XT is great in all my Mac apps (Blender and Maya with AMD Pro Render, Sketch-Up, BIM 360, AutoCAD).

It’s wayyyyyyy faster than my previous Saphire Pulse RX580 in everyday professional use. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

hornedfrog and jeh72 liked
ReplyQuote
jeh72
(@jeh72)

@mini-i5, Thanks for the input, it's good to see that it is working fine for you.  I tested civ 6, wow, minecraft (with BSL shaders) and xcom 2.  Your guess about CPU is probably right given the game selection.  I'll have to find a properly sized gpu and do more testing.

2017 MBP 15, Radeon 560 | Akitio Node + EVGA 980ti FTW

ReplyQuote
iamkarlp
(@iamkarlp)

@jeh72

I have an 5700xt in a razer core x chroma on a 16" MBP.

It is terrible performance wise, both benchmarking and performing worse in day-to-day tasks than an RX580.

It causes the machine to hard-lockup at least twice per week. The USB ports on the Razer Chassis stop responding once every few minutes when that card is installed. Swap that card for another 5700xt - same problem. Swap the chassis - same problem. Swap the cables - same problem. Drop anything other than a NaviRDNA card in? All problems go away.

Everything works fine in windows, but not in macOS.

You can see other people with 5700xt problems here: https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/rx-5700-xt-on-macos-catalina-10-15-2/

I've got to believe that there are NaviRDNA driver problems in macOS - it's the only thing that would explain all these issues.

It's frustrating, but my 5700xt card is on the shelf until something gets better. I have an RX580 in the chassis now and things work very well.

If anyone else has any input I'd love it. 

-Karl P

16" MBP (2019), Razer Core X Chroma, Saphire RX580, ASRock RX5700XT

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @iamkarlp

I've got to believe that there are NaviRDNA driver problems in macOS - it's the only thing that would explain all these issues.

Maybe macOS Navi drivers is the reason W5700X MPX module is not available yet...

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

Many people report the Razer Core X has problems with USB port reliability. It’s a Core X issue.

My PowerColor Gaming station USB ports work fine with my 5700 XT card. I’ve been using them all day with my USB mouse receiver. Never had any dropouts.

I’ve used the Mac OS Navi drivers in 10.15.1 and 10.15.3. They work great on my Mac Mini. Never had a problem in any Mac software.

3D modeling, rendering, and CAD, 2D CAD and graphics, photo editing and presentation software. Basically everything graphic related works great. 

I had a nice Saphire RX 580 card before. I used it for a year. It was about half as fast as my 5700 XT. Not even close to the acceleration I get now. 

I’ve been using my Powercolor 5700XT 10-12 hours a day, seven days a week for my business since November 2019.

It’s been totally stable and very fast in Mac OS using the Catalina Navi drivers. No issues whatsoever. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
iamkarlp
(@iamkarlp)

@mini-i5

Glad you are having a great time, that is genuinely encouraging to hear.

I am not however having that same great time. Searching across this forum and others, there are many examples of others having issues as well.

If you, or someone else, have/has some insight as to what we might be able to do to get a good experience, I would be grateful. I'd certainly like to use the hardware sitting on my shelf.

I have had this rig since November as well, and have run the card for at least 2 weeks under 15.1, 15.2 and 15.3

In all cases the performance is better with the RX580 than the 5700XT

I am aware of the reported problems with the Core X, but I have never seen any issues _other_ than when an NaviRDNA card is installed.
I have never once had a problem using half a dozen usb devices chained off the Core X Chrome when using a Polaris card. I don't have any VEGA's to try, but friends say those work great as well.

Again - if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it, but I saw this post and wanted to let OP ( @jeh72 ) know that I am seeing the same issues. I don't know what the problem might be, but with the testing I have done so far I have to believe it is a driver issue. That seems to be the only thing which makes sense.

-Karl P

ReplyQuote
iamkarlp
(@iamkarlp)

I upgraded to 10.15.4 last week. After verifying the Polaris cards were still stable, I swapped out to the NAVI / 5700XT again.

It is obvious that a lot of improvement has been made. I had fewer crashes, sleep/suspend worked better, and USB was more stable. Performance was notably better than my RX580 for the first time. It's a big step in the right direction.

But I was still getting some crashes, and while keyboard/mouse worked fine on downstream USB, my web cam did not. I also did have some hard system-locks.

I have since swapped back to a Polaris card and all is stable again. Hope they get it sorted in 10.15.5 (or maybe 10.16 at this rate)

-Karl P

jeh72 liked
ReplyQuote