macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Broke my RX580 Gaming Box eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

macOS Catalina 10.15.2 Broke my RX580 Gaming Box eGPU  

RSS

(@linn_boyd)

Just like the title says. 

Contacted Apple escalated to engineering, don't have the time to TimeMachine the backup right now. 

Tried HDMI, Purge Wrangler, Reset SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, cold plug, hot plug etc etc. 

Any ideas? 

Multiple Systems
2017 13” MBP/i5-8GB-1TB/10.15.2/Gigabyte RX580 eGPU

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@linn_boyd Add your system configuration to your signature - we can't answer questions without context.

Let gaming box rest for 10min with all wires disconnected and retry. In some cases the Gaming Boxes are known to not respond. This typically solves it unless you have a hardware defect. You don't need scripts such as purge-wrangler for 2017 MBP.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
RoyalArachnid
(@royalarachnid)

I have this problem as well, my MacBook Pro 2017 is on 10.15.2 and was working with my RX 580 for an hour or two (connected to a display by DP). Then it started crashing games and now plugging in my eGPU to my Mac crashes it, causing a boot loop unless I disconnect. Anyone have similar issues/solutions? I have done everything talked about on this site but I don’t know what’s wrong.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@jay_weeks)

I just got a used one to use as a more portable gpu for live visuals, and am having this issue.

I'm on 10.15.2 with a 2017 13" MacBook Pro, and it crashes as soon as I plug it in.  I also have a Razer Core X + Vega 56 which runs fine with no issues.

2017 13" MBP (3.1GHz i5, 16GB) / Razer Core X + Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ Limited Edition

ReplyQuote
(@jay_weeks)

@linn_boyd

Do you have an open support ticket? Was anything resolved?

2017 13" MBP (3.1GHz i5, 16GB) / Razer Core X + Sapphire Vega 56 Nitro+ Limited Edition

ReplyQuote
(@linn_boyd)

Posted by: @jay_weeks

@linn_boyd

Do you have an open support ticket? Was anything resolved?

I never did open a support ticket, I did get it to work with another driver. For 10.15.3 I reloaded my MBP and it works just fine though. I had been planning to reload the MBP for a while as it hadn’t been truly wiped and reloaded since ~2014-2015

By not wiped and reloaded I mean not restored from backup etc. 

Multiple Systems
2017 13” MBP/i5-8GB-1TB/10.15.2/Gigabyte RX580 eGPU

ReplyQuote
(@jay_weeks)

@linn_boyd oh, how did you install a different driver with macOS? I tried upgrading to 10.15.3 and it still crashes when plugged in.

I was getting ready to return it, but would prefer to keep it if I can get the drivers working.

ReplyQuote
bonifaczi
(@bonifaczi)

is there a solution to this problem?

MBP 13 2017 + Gigabyte (Aorus) Gaming Box RX580

ReplyQuote