macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2 for MacBook Pro (2018)

Notifications
Clear all

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2 for MacBook Pro (2018)  

of  3
  RSS

danmeyerphoto
(@danmeyerphoto)
Eminent Member

Update:   The purge-wrangler script install works now after an update.
disregard the following-

@mac_editor  
So I performed what you suggested I did a fresh install of the protocol with the purge-wrangler.sh here
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/   

It did not work I got the same result.
[img] [/img]

I follow this protocol and it worked, success!
https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

I am not sure why it worked but I thought it may bring to light a new issue to look at with the coding perhaps.

Thanks for your help though.   You're doing a great service of helping so many users.   Much appreciation!!

eGPU: Akitio Node Pro : EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ultra) 2018 MacBook Pro 13" i7 Quad-core, 16 GB Ram, 2 TB ssd

ReplyQuote
lovejimbo
(@lovejimbo)

Hey guys, so sorry if this has already been covered - I’ve had a good search through the forums and can find people mentioning this issue, then saying they solved it but with no follow up as to how ;p

I had this method working perfectly if a 2018 15” MacBook Pro, Sonnet 650 and 1080ti... until the second 2018 supplemental update which broke the method.

Is there a known solution for users with 2018 MacBook Pro’s? The script seems to work perfectly and patches the Nvidia drivers, just no recognition from the system that the card is connected.

I’ve attempted plug in at log in, log out > log in and from boot, but it doesn’t seem to care

Thanks for your help! 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

If this required sip to be disabled... "not sure" if so.. maybe the update turned that back on?

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote
Scott McLeod
(@nothingshocking)

Posted by: lovejimbo

Hey guys, so sorry if this has already been covered - I’ve had a good search through the forums and can find people mentioning this issue, then saying they solved it but with no follow up as to how ;p

I had this method working perfectly if a 2018 15” MacBook Pro, Sonnet 650 and 1080ti... until the second 2018 supplemental update which broke the method.

Is there a known solution for users with 2018 MacBook Pro’s? The script seems to work perfectly and patches the Nvidia drivers, just no recognition from the system that the card is connected.

I’ve attempted plug in at log in, log out > log in and from boot, but it doesn’t seem to care

Thanks for your help! 

Remove any patches that you have installed, reboot, and reinstall your patches.  I've had really good success with Pure-Wrangler  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/  more so than fr34k when it comes to 10.13.4, but that is most likely due to my lack of understanding.  TLDR; Erase the old and use Pure-Wrangler.  2018 MacBook works.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
lovejimbo
(@lovejimbo)

Thanks for the tips!

Yea, that's the strange thing - once the Supplemental patch happened I knew to turn SIP back off and to reapply Purge-Wrangler, but it's still a no go.

Purge says all the patches are applied, the Nvidia drivers are patched as well and I've gone to the efforts of uninstalling all the Purge tweaks, Cuda and Nvidia drivers and then start again and it's still not happy...

...it's like it isn't detecting that anything is plugged in, using any variation of plug on boot, plug on login, plug once logged in, log out and plug etc

I thought that this was maybe a quirk of the Supplemental update and there was another tweak that 2018 owners needed to make but seems not?

The chassis is definitely working fine as it works perfectly with my Vega 64... and the 1080ti works fine in my 5.1 Mac Pro... otherwise I'd think the card might have died...

Maybe the update to Mojave once the web drivers are released will see things work again? 

Let me know if anyone thinks of a potential gremlin I should hunt down Smile

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

Anything new with this?

2018 MacBookPro 15 in. /w Touchbar - i9 - 32gig ram - 1080 Aorus 1080 Gaming Box - Sonnet-Breakaway550 with GTX 1080 - Still need to get both of the GTX 980TI working for 4 GTX total cards

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

I managed to get things working on my mid 2018 i9 - used Benjiman's Nvidia installer.. it put in 105... wrong for this os but still patched it happily.
then ran purge-wrangler - I doubt I have qi/qe on ext monitors on eGPU - 4k TV was janky as hell.  but CUDA is happy and both v-ray and octane benchmarks are. about right for a single 1080 card.  aorus gaming box. - had to reboot then remote in the first time to set the monitors not to mirror got rid of black screen and logged out logged in.. rebooted long as its in its working...  AMD for screen drawing and CUDA on ext eGPU for rendering.,.. my use case is happy - Normal boot login / logoff / connect applies -  ONLY ODD THING - My trackpad does not work when eGPU is connected..Anyone have an idea why that is?

osx3
osx2
osx
This post was modified 2 years ago

ReplyQuote
ataylor
(@ataylor)
Eminent Member

update - seems the CUDA stuff is working brilliantly.. - however the internal trackpad was an easy fix but still wondering why its happening? Firmware maybe on the aorus box?   - the setting for ignore trackpad when mouse is present was on in accessibility.  turn that off and both external mouse / pen tablet work fine.. but even if I unhook the tablet.. once I connect the eGPU aorus 1080 box.. it still doesn't bring it back.. but if I turn off the setting in accessibility both work. 
weird!

ReplyQuote
 of  3