MacOS High Sierra + Sonnet EGFX 350 + Saphire Nitro+ RX580 8gb

Notifications
Clear all

MacOS High Sierra + Sonnet EGFX 350 + Saphire Nitro+ RX580 8gb  

RSS

Franklin
(@franklin)

Hi All,

Just wanted to post my setup and my experience so far.
I got a MacBook Pro 2016 13" with Touch Bar.

I bought a Sonnet EGFX breakaway box 350 and a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580.

Connected it and all seems to be working.
Card is recognised as a AMD R9 xxx 8 GB

Performance in some games I tested is far (in MacOS) from what I expected but better then my integrated gpu.
I understand all of this is still beta and I am hoping it will improve over time.

But I thought it would be good to share my setup and experience so far.
If there is anything in particular you would like to see or for me to test let me know.

Currently running on MacOS High Sierra Developer Beta 7

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@guido_wehner)

Hi,

I also have upgraded to High Sierra and then bought the Breakaway 350 Box.
At first I had the Radeon RX 560 Card from Saphire, but then had to realise it wouldn't work (sonnettech answered on my support request why it isn't working).

Now I have bought the Saphire RX 580 Nitro Graphics Card, plugged it in, connected, booted => freeze in Finder and everything else.
I then rebooted and unplugged the box, power on, booted like normal.
Then I plugged the box in and it said: "egpu support, log of and on" or something like that.

I logged of and on and the GPU was discovered in Systeminformation as R9 xxx (something that wouldn't be so with the RX580, as sonnettech said).

I haven't tried to plugin the 2. monitor, but will try it now.

Will report

Oh, my Setup: iMac 27" 2011, Sonnet Breakaway 350 Box, RX580 Nitro Saphire card.

Plugin Egpu AFTER Start of the System works, World of Warcraft finally back on 60 fps stable.
No extra Script nescessary

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
JustD
(@justd)

Hi,

I have a mid-2017 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon 560.  I bought the Breakaway 350 box with Radeaon RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB ram.  When I connect on the MacOS High Sierra, I see the card as R9 xxx.  MacOS will never run off of the RX580 but the 560.  I'm suspecting that this is because the RX580 is seen as R9 xxx, a possible inferior product to the Radeon 560 even though it's the other way around.

Is there a way to fix this so that the 580 is the main source of graphics?

ReplyQuote
tbl777
(@tbl777)
Trusted Member

Posted by: JustD

Hi,

I have a mid-2017 15" MacBook Pro with Radeon 560.  I bought the Breakaway 350 box with Radeaon RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB ram.  When I connect on the MacOS High Sierra, I see the card as R9 xxx.  MacOS will never run off of the RX580 but the 560.  I'm suspecting that this is because the RX580 is seen as R9 xxx, a possible inferior product to the Radeon 560 even though it's the other way around.

Is there a way to fix this so that the 580 is the main source of graphics?

You must output you RX580 signal to external screen by DP or HDMI. So for I'm no aware that anybody used eGPU in the internal screen under 10.13.

late-2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO thunder 2) + macOS 10.13

ReplyQuote
JustD
(@justd)

So I did do that, I connected an external monitor to the eGPU, one of the purposes of why I got it.  Two things that I see with that.

1. When I look at "About This Mac" under Displays, it shows both internal and external (connected to the eGPU) as running off of the Radeon 560.
  2. When I close the MacBook, in hopes to use the external as a single monitor (two if all works out), the MacBook display does not turn off nor does it pass the main display to the external connected to the eGPU

When the external display is connected to the eGPU, is the About Us Mac supposed to show that the display is running on the external graphics card?  And is there a way to close the MacBook and to have it run like it has the external display connected directly to the MacBook but turning off the main display and switching to the eGPU monitor?

Update: I connected a newer 1080p monitor to the RX580 and it now shows in "About This Mac" under Displays R9 xxx.  I think the 4k monitors will work out well when I get them for this.  My only concern now is the closing of the MacBook to switch the main display to the external monitors.  If I can make this happen, then I will have a need to keep this.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
JustD
(@justd)

Just when I was about ready to call it quits on the eGPU, I picked up a Samsung UHD 4k display, plugged it in the eGPU and I gamed like I have never gamed before both on MacOS and Windows 10 bootcamp.  Now I'm looking at this as a well worth buy.  1 more 4k display and I'm good to go on the development world but I need the 1 minor detail, clamshell mode.  If Apple can make that happen, I will be ecstatic.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Franklin
(@franklin)

I am still running this setup today it is still seen as a R9 XXX instead of a RX 580.
I wonder if we can do some kext editing to add the card on the correct kext file.
But beside getting it to show the correct card will this have any significant performance boost ?

Also on windows 10 I had to disable one of the 3 downstream ports in order to boot with the EGPU.
Ones I finally figured it out the only problem I have left is that I see the windows boot logo is stuck on my internal display while windows is working fine from the second display.
Anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue ?

Performance of the EGPU is at least 40-50% faster in windows then MacOS

I tested this with a couple of games like Fortnite, Rocket League, Diablo 3, Borderlands the pre sequel.

ReplyQuote
Franklin
(@franklin)

Just wanted to give a update even tough this is already mentioned on the forum.
Since MacOS 10.13.4 Beta 2 and 3 this setup is now fully supported and recognized.

The card shows up as a RX 580 and I get the icon in the top bar to eject it.
I can hot plug the EGPU without issues.
Clamshell is working only showing my external monitor as active.
Running just on the internal display is still not supported still have to have the external display connected.

Performance is still the same as before when the card was showing as a R9 XXX.
Compared to windows on bootcamp i would say the card is running on maybe 60% of it's true capabilities in MacOS.
This is also a dependent on what application or game you use it for.

The EGFX 350 does not supply enough power (15w) to charge your MacBook as well so keep that in mind if you do consider a Sonnet.
There are other models that do up to 75w today.

But there are plenty of other brands to choose from nowadays.

ReplyQuote
singermustdie
(@singermustdie)

Hey all. Wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to run this setup with my imac late-2013 (TB2). I have set everything up correctly as far as I can see.

Mind you, the Sonnett turns on and fans start running in all below scenarios.

I've booted with the sonnet connected and also while hot-plugging it during sign-in. In both cases the imac recognizes the egfx box through thunderbolt, but gives me no RX580 under Graphics/Displays. Nor is my external display (plugged into the egpu) recognized or receiving any signal.

Running HSierra 10.13.6. I have an Apple TB3/TB2 adapter plugged directly into the egfx with a TB 2 cable running from that to the imac. I then have a 4k HDMI cable running from the egfx to my external display. 

Could I have connected the PCIE cables incorrectly? If anyone has access to a picture for how it should be please send along. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

ReplyQuote