Notifications
Clear all

macOS Pascal Drivers: GTX 1080 Ti + 2016 15" MacBook Pro  

of  4
  RSS

ryan
 ryan
(@ryan)

can we see that 1080 in your cMP Smile would love to see how it stacks up against the other cards you have run through that machine

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I will definitely put it through the pace inside the Mac Pro tower. eGPU testing has higher priority atm. 😀

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Lorenzo
 Lorenzo
(@Lorenzo)

Hi, I assume that there wouldn't be any issues with a Mac that has already a discrete gpu build on it, like the new macbook pro 15 retina 2016, that can't be shipped without the AMD mobile chip.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ben McC
 Ben McC
(@Ben McC)

great comparisons, very interesting regarding the PCIe and PCH implementation.

Do you have any data regarding 15" non touchbar? As this doesnt have an ATI card, it could be possibly the best MBP for eGPU?

Also, if Apple were to have say a 15" touchbar without the ATI graphics, I'm guessing it would be saving PCIe lanes by not having the graphics cards, so this would be the best for eGPU performance?

ReplyQuote
marco
 marco
(@marco)

Any tests with the akitio node and new drivers? Trying to get the best for my new 13" mbp so i can play games on bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

We're working on an article to show the performance difference with the new firmware.

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jingzhe
 Jingzhe
(@Jingzhe)

Is it able to charge 15 mbp with one single cable?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Yes it does. The production unit will be able to provide 87W power delivery.

ReplyQuote
Onizis
 Onizis
(@Onizis)

Hi,

Thanks for theses tests. What is the noise level of Macbook Pro when you use eGPU ? Are they full load or do you only hear the fan from GPU?

Thanks for your reply

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Noise from the MacBook Pro is not a concern at all. It's almost non-audible while the eGPU box is going. The loudest component is the graphics card fan. If you place the eGPU enclosure at a distance, say under your desk you may hear the MBP.

ReplyQuote
 of  4