macOS Pascal Drivers: GTX 1080 Ti + 2016 15" MacBook Pro  

of  4
  RSS

Marc
 Marc
(@Marc)

Hi,

I have a more general question:
I do a lot of after effects/premiere/photoshop (later maybe even 3D) work and have a fully speced 15" 2016 MBP with TB3.
I am interested in using an eGPU with a top of a line nvidia graphics card.
I am not so much interested in gaming. More in CUDA based rendering solution for the MBP 2016.

I read a lot about those boxes and I am wondering which one is the best:
- the Akition Node
- the Mantiz Venus
- the Bizon (?)
- are there any others ?

I read a lot of articles but I am still not sure which one has the best performance for above tasks.
Maybe you could shed some light on it.

thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

For your intended use, I'd recommend the AKiTiO Node. It has one single port fully dedicated to the external GPU. The large enclosure also provides enough room for pretty much any GPU you want to use.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Marc
 Marc
(@Marc)

That was a fast response. 😉

Ok. I did not know that the single port. I will look into it.
Thanks for this information.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
whirk
 whirk
(@whirk)

do the drivers support the boot screen is or it black until the main Mac OS X screen loads? or i guess as a second device the boot screen stays on the laptop? curious if these drivers support the boot screen on a Mac Pro 5,1...

ReplyQuote
Lam
 Lam
(@Lam)

Hello,

Have you tried these set up with games in Windows 10?

I've been waiting for this day for so long: bringing a 15" MbP to work for mobility and simply plug it into eGPU at home via single cable for gaming.

Anw, thanks for the review!

ReplyQuote
Basil
 Basil
(@Basil)

Hi,

Can I use the AKiTiO Node as an eGPU with a thunderbolt to thunderbolt 3 adapter for a 2013 Mac trashcan? Would their be a decrease in performance?

Thank You!

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Yes you can. It will run at Thunderbolt 2 speed with the Late 2013 Mac Pro trashcan.

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

I have not tried gaming with this setup in Windows. It should work great though given how much better the drivers are in Windows vs. macOS.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@Mike)

Real quick, would you recommend a Node or a Razer Core for a brand newly announced 2017 MacBook pro? I cant decide between the 2. Someone help!

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

A TB3 enclosure using a TI83 USB-C controller rather than TI82 are recommended due to macOS compatibility without needing TB3-enabler kext hack. The Node is one such enclosure. The Core uses a TI82 USB-C controller.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  4