Notifications
Clear all

MacOS Vulkan eGPU Issue  

RSS

Nicholas Mulyawan
(@nicholas_mulyawan)

Whenever I use choose Vulkan as my API for my video game (Dota 2), my macbook would process the game using the internal graphics instead of the eGPU (Seen from activity monitor). Causing lower frame rates.

This issue does not occur when I use OpenGL as my API, and the game would be fully processed on the eGPU only.

I have heard that Vulkan boasts higher frame rates than OpenGL on MacOS, does anyone know how if there is a compatibility issue between Vulkan and MacOS?

I am using a Macbook Pro (w/ Radeon 555x Built-in) connected to a Radeon 5700XT in a Razer Core X enclosure.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ikir
 ikir
(@ikir)
Prominent Member

macOS doesn’t have Vulkan. The game should have a compatibility layer which translate Vulkan calls to Metal ones. But in your case it seem to have issue. Is the game running on the display connected to eGPU?

MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar M1 8-core CPU 8-core GPU - 16GB unified memory - 512GB PCIe SSD
MacBook Pro 13" 2020 Touch Bar i7 quad-core 2.3Ghz - 16GB RAM - 1TB PCIe SSD

my awesome Radeon VII eGPU
my Mantiz Venus extreme mod with Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nicholas Mulyawan
(@nicholas_mulyawan)

@ikir, Hey thanks for the reply!

I am not sure what you mean by the compatibility layer.

I use activity monitor on MacOS to tell which GPU is being used to run the game, and whenever I select OpenGL the game would run on my 5700XT. But when I choose Vulkan the game would show up on my 555x. So I don't think that my eGPU is being utilized while on Vulkan.

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote