Macpro 2013 + Razer core x + vega II issue

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Macpro 2013 + Razer core x + vega II issue  

RSS

jocker
(@jocker)

Hi,

I just bought an AMD vega II GPU and tried connecting it with the Razer Core X on my 2013 MacPro and all I get is an error message:

"GPU Not Disconnected Properly - Disconnect safely from the menu before unplugging or turning it off".

But I get this message right away, I see the eGPU icon in the top bar for a minute, but when clicking on it, it says "No GPU connected"

Looking in the system info, there's the "Core X " listed in the thunderbolt section

I don't have any displays plugged into the razer (I need it for Octane X). I used to have the same config with an Nvidia card (and the displays plugged on the razer) and High Sierra and it was working without issues (with some third party extension installed). I tried the same config on a 2018 MacBook pro, it also worked and shows the Vega II in the eGPU icon.

I'm kinda lost, anyone could help me?

Thanks,

Axel

My configuration : 

Mac pro (late 2013)

MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Razer Core X

Apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter

Thunderbolt 2/1 cable

AMD GPU Vega II

This topic was modified 1 year ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@jocker, The 2013 Mac Pro is Thunderbolt 2 and therefore does not have native eGPU support in macOS. You need to use either Purge-Wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI to make it work.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote