Setup & Software Discussions
MBP 13 2017 Touch Bar , Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 , Strix 1080ti oc, High Sierra ...

MBP 13 2017 Touch Bar , Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 , Strix 1080ti oc, High Sierra PLEASE HELP ME  

RSS

Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

In Hamburg we say Moin , 
i am new with Nvidia and mac.
Before I worked with the Vega Strix 56 OC and everything works fine on High Sierra .
But now with the Nvidia Card my Mac goes crazy or my egpu ?!?
First I install the Script ...bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/learex/macOS-eGPU/master/macOS-eGPU.sh)
the card is recognized and the external Display is showing up . (External Display is an 4k Samsung TV ) 
I try to run Heaven ... but it crashes after round about half a minute.Before with AMD I never get an crash like that.

Mode extended Monitor . Both Displays were shown in the Settings .
Anybody the same Problems ?
when I try to run Forinte ...the screens stays black 

what do you think Hardware / Software

my German is very well...but my english

I bought this f.....g  expensive card and nothing is working

Help

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Moin Moin!
A few questions:
Did the script install the Nvidia Web driver; if yes, which driver version? Which macOS version are you using?

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

the web driver is : 387.10.10.10.40.105  via driver manager ( up to date )
high Sierra : 10.13.6
thank you

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Did you test the eGPU setup in Windows as well? Or do you have the opportunity to do that? Would be very interesting for the following reason:
I suspect the GPU to need ways more power than the enclosure is able to deliver. Computer Bild says the GPU is using 337W in average and 484W at maximum load. The Sonnet 550 Box supports just GPUs with  < 375W. Thats over 100W difference when the GPU is under load. This could be the reason why the GPU is acting normal when you do nothing special but going crazy when you max it out.

Setup: MacBook Pro 2018 15" 2.6GHz Radeon Pro 560X on macOS 10.14 & Windows 10 (Bootcamp); Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 350 with a Zotac GTX1080 AMP! Edition

neaumusic liked
ReplyQuote
Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

yes, but the 1080ti is supported by the 550 . 
the whole system takes 484 w, here we got just the card in the box...this is not the same ,or?
first I want to fix for mac ... after that windows

ReplyQuote
neaumusic
(@neaumusic)

You should use Boot Camp because DirectX is better than OpenGL!

I think you should turn off the internal screen, even just "mirror" instead of extend

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2017-macbook-pro-13-fn-keys-10-13-6-sonnet-1080ti-40gb-s

Instead of 6-7 frames in heaven, it will be 130-150fps

2017 Macbook 13" + Sonnet 650W + 1080TI OC Strix

ReplyQuote
nanoBit
(@nanobit)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Gordon_HH

yes, but the 1080ti is supported by the 550 . 
the whole system takes 484 w, here we got just the card in the box...this is not the same ,or?
first I want to fix for mac ... after that windows

you're right, I was wrong. But anyway, is the OC version supported, too? It consumes more power than the normal one. That's why it would be a good idea to test it with another OS... just to make sure the setup works in general. Another thing you could do is to reinstall macOS and see if it works then. eGPU support is just more or less stable, especially for Nvidia. Sometimes a reinstall might help. If you don't want to try that: For all deep macOS stuff @itsage might be the one who has an idea.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@gordon_hh What’s the specific model of your GTX 1080 Ti? Did you buy it new?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

Strix 1080ti OC. I bought it used.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

With used cards, my recommendation is to always flash the original ROM before use. People modify vBIOS for different purposes and you never know if those changes are safe. You can download a matching vBIOS rom file from TechPowerUp.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

good morning everybody, 
tomorrow is the day ...
today I will replace the psu to a silverstone sfx-l 800
i will make a clean install from high sierra and from windows 10 as well.
i will try the build from neaumusic
i will check the vbios as well
thanks for your support so far!

nanoBit liked
ReplyQuote
Gordon_HH
(@gordon_hh)

Changing the PSU ... nothing change...crash @ 30 sec. ( again) 
i am really lucky that i can give the gpu back ... i think the card has a defect 
I give it to a store and they test it with windows 10... crash after 3 min furmark
now i have a muscle breakaway box 800
i tried to run the egpu in Windows as well...no success🤬🤬🤬
next card please ...

ReplyQuote