MBP 15 inch 2015, LG Ultrafine and eGPU

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 15 inch 2015, LG Ultrafine and eGPU  

RSS

frandu
(@frandu)

Hello all, this is my first post.

I own a MBP 15inch 2015, 2,8 GHz i7 (only Thunderbolt 2 ports), 16GB 1600 DDR3 and AMD Radeon R9 M370x 2GB, on Mojave and an external display LG UltraFine 4K Display.

I do a lot of edits inside FCPX, I'm a freelance editor. Lots of render, plugins, noise reductions, exports, etc. I am thinking about buying an eGPU, since I'm noticing a lot of lags when using the external monitor. If I work only in the MBP, the performance is acceptable, not wonderful, but workable.

I think its time to upgrade to a new MBP, but If I can wait 1 year or so with this machine, would be helpful in this Covid-19 times.

So my question is: Will I notice any improvement using the Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapters? Is it worth the investment?

Thank you all!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

rufus liked
ReplyQuote
rufus
(@rufus)

I'm doing the exact same thing, on a 2.5GHz MBP mid-2015 16GB with the same GPU.  I'm looking at getting an eGPU for Blender, FCPX, Compressor, Motion and DaVinci Resolve.  I have the same question: is it worth getting one given that I never play games?  I really need the horse power for work and plan to get an iMac Pro, but I need to save a few more pennies yet 😀

Would love some recommendations.  Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote