mbp 15" mid 2015 - akitio node - gtx 1070 mini - pure headache

Notifications
Clear all

mbp 15" mid 2015 - akitio node - gtx 1070 mini - pure headache  

of  3
  RSS

alex_411411
(@alex_411411)

Hi guys, thank you all for this amazing forum, been following it for a few months. Now the problems :')

I have a MBP 15" mid 2015, m370x, 16gb, 2,5 i7. + a benq 4K external monitor.
Recently I purchased the Akitio Node and a GTX 1070 mini, as I read in the forum everything worked good.
Let me start with the good: I've been able to run everything perfectly on win10. After hours reading and testing and reading and testing I finally made it. It works good, perfect, with all drivers and everything, games on ultra in 4K with no problems.

Now the problem, macOS. I have 10.13.6, did not update to mojave waiting for it to be more easy for this process. I have tried purge-wrangler, macos-egpu and setegpu.

Now if I boot the laptop with the egpu connected, it takes about 2 min, screens crash, and eventually when I get to the desktop, everything is soooooooo slow I can't really do anything. Card only shows inside Graphics/displays but not in "about this mac".

Now what I found out reading and searching was following: first make my external display as main display. Then reboot without the egpu, connect it when I'm logged in at the desktop and finally log out and log in again in order to make it work. 
I'm at this position now, this is all I can get, but my main screen now (the mbp screen) shows distorted images and colors, completely useless. Although now my "about this mac" shows the gtx properly. However I am not able to make things work here and I need a solution and my brain is almost dry, been 2 days straight with this issue.

Any help I would appreciate SO much. Thanks guys your incredible work has saved me so many hours.

Alex

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Read purge-wrangler more tools section - follow steps for black screen for your config (also solves distortion/lag issues). 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex_411411
(@alex_411411)

thanks so much, I tried Command Line Swiss knife + I found an app (ResXtreme) to readjust everything. Solved the distorting issues, but now I'm frozen on the login screen (loading) on my main mbp screen. External works perfect though. Any ideas ? 

Thank you so much again

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
alex_411411
(@alex_411411)

Hi, last update if anyone can help:
no need anymore of hotplugging or rebooting or relogging. Both windows and macos work when booting with the egpu connected.
However on both systems I lose the internal display, on windows it's just a black screen and on macos it's the logging in loading screen that freezes.
Been reading that it may be due to that the internal gpu stops working? Can't find a solution though.
Any help I'd appreciate so much.
thanks guys
Alex

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@alex_411411, try:

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

@mac_editor, this is happening every time when using an external monitor to an nVidia card on MaOSX with a dGPU. It's a surprise that this rather easy solition hasn't brought up before. When you have another AMD eGPU the system goes completely havoc and this command doesn help anymore. One solution is not attach the monitor to the nVidia eGPU.

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex_411411
(@alex_411411)

Hi Oliver, thanks for your reply, terminal told me this:

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.

- Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.

And charging desktop screen frozen at logging in still :/

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: alex_411411

Hi Oliver, thanks for your reply, terminal told me this:

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "Battery Power" may not behave as expected.

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.

And charging desktop screen frozen at logging in still :/

Are you absolutely sure, you did enter exactly this command? I repeat:

sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 0

It's a Zero, right? It's 10.13.6, isn't it? There is no text reply to this command other than the automatic gpuswitching stops which solves your problem. From the text you are posting it is quite evident you entered something else.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@oliverb the issue doesn’t occur on the 2018 15” MBP with High Sierra (occurs only initially for a few seconds then fixes itself - at least for me). Also that pmset command does not always disable automatic graphics switching (full switching can only be disabled using an nvram option, but that option also disables eGPUs), and does not always solve the problem on all macs unless done properly (as was in automate-eGPU EFI 1.0.4). Also, the solution was brought up a long time ago while @goalque and I discussed this on the old EFI thread.

@alex_411411 your internal screen is locking up most likely because the nvram gpu-power-prefs variable wasn’t set correctly (sometimes it just doesn’t set). Keep running that command per boot until it starts booting normally with the dGPU disabled.

Finally, if you also want your dGPU functional, undo the changes made so far, and follow steps in automate-eGPU EFI post for getting proper acceleration with this configuration.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex_411411
(@alex_411411)

thanks guys.
the code given by @oliverb keeps giving me the same message I wrote before.
I have an absolute chaos of terminal codes that I don't really know what else to do. I will be formatting and reinstalling high sierra and start from scratch. 
Shall I go directly to automate-egpu EFI ? This will allow me to run both egpu and dgpu (when disconected) + I'll be able to run both screens?
thanks again guys

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@oliverb the issue doesn’t occur on the 2018 15” MBP with High Sierra (occurs only initially for a few seconds then fixes itself - at least for me).

I have a 2018 15" MBP, High Sierra, and it occurs in my setup always with a monitor attached to an nVidia eGPU. No matter what type of nVidia eGPU. Only once, a GTX1050 didn't do the trouble, funny thing.

Every time only "pmset -a gpuswitch 0" saves the day, which is annyoing because you have reset it when you want to use the dGPU later.

It looks it is time to reinstall HighSierra for me, too..-.

ReplyQuote
 of  3