MBP 16" + Razer Chrome X + Radeon RX550 = external display not working

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 16" + Razer Chrome X + Radeon RX550 = external display not working  

RSS

Traste
(@traste)

Hi there!

First, thanks you all that contributed to this great forum! I've been doing a lot of reading to be able to use an eGPU with my Macbook Pro and a 32" 4K Benq external display.

This is my current setup:

I can't get the external display to work. My computer detects the eGPU, but that's all:

https://monosnap.com/file/KFZUy2lVJAjTWKwrMG96zTVXcE39FO

I don't see the eGPU on the menu bar either. I see many users here struggle with the same and fixed it reseting the PRAM. I've done that a couple times, but still...

Any advice? Thanks!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@traste, It's most likely the XFX firmware is the culprit. You can try flashing a vBIOS from a different with the same VRAM. This can only be done in Windows.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Traste
(@traste)

Posted by: @itsage

@traste, It's most likely the XFX firmware is the culprit. You can try flashing a vBIOS from a different with the same VRAM. This can only be done in Windows.

Thanks!

That seems a really good explanation. However, I also asked on Reddit and they gave me another possible explanation. That card is not listed as supported here. RX550 seems to use the "Polaris 12" chip, which seems not to be supported by Apple.

Do you think flashing a different firmware worth a shot? Thank you

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@traste, I misread as RX 5500 from the title. It's been a while since I checked if there's new changes to Polaris drivers. If your intention is to use the eGPU for external monitor out (limit dGPU noise and heat). I'd say to look for a used RX 460 2GB.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Traste
(@traste)

@traste, I misread as RX 5500 from the title. It's been a while since I checked if there's new changes to Polaris drivers. If your intention is to use the eGPU for external monitor out (limit dGPU noise and heat). I'd say to look for a used RX 460 2GB.

Thanks. That's What I'm going to do. I like the Razer Core X because of the power supply. But I don't actually need a lot of graphic power. My main problem is that the computer slows down to death when I'm on a videoconference. Really annoying for a 3K USD machine.

By the way, do I also need to pay attention not to buy a RX 460 with the XFX firmware? I guess I should buy this one, instead of this other one. 

Thanks!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@traste, For use in macOS, avoid XFX is best.

Traste liked
ReplyQuote
Traste
(@traste)

@traste, For use in macOS, avoid XFX is best.

Thank you. I finally ordered a used Sapphire Radeon RX460 2GB. 

ReplyQuote
Traste
(@traste)

I just wanted to get back to say thank you!

@itsage, I received the RX, plugged into the Razer Core X Chroma and that was all. Works like a charm and it seems my problem is fixed now. Although I hated having to spend an extra $400 for this solution. Thank you Apple! 😡 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@traste, Good to hear you got the eGPU going. I agree it's ridiculous the dGPU in 16-in MacBook Pro can't handle basic tasks.

ReplyQuote