Clear all

MBP 16" + Razer Chrome X + Radeon RX550 = external display not working  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@sorimachi, Older Macs with Thunderbolt 1/2 don't have official software support in macOS to use eGPU. You'd need a workaround utility such as Purge Wrangler or Kryptonite to enable this feature. RX 460 has drivers in macOS and works in eGPU mode. One thing to keep in mind when buying used GPUs is that the firmware/vBIOS might have been altered so you should flash it back to the original vBIOS to make sure there's no compatibility issues.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

sorimachi liked
ReplyQuote
sorimachi
(@sorimachi)

@itsage, Thank you for you expert opinion. So i should get the 460 instead 560?

So far, i don't have a chance to try Radeon cards for my Chroma Egpu, manageable to try GTX1060(MacOS/Bootcamps Windows 10 Don't recognize the Egpu casing but card fan spinning only) GTX1050 and R960 no response too. I tried the Bootcamp using kriptonite but it won't detected my thunderbolt drive in macOS/Bootcamp too. Same with Purge-Wrangler. Hopefully to buy a used Radeon Card to try again. Would you like recommend which brand compatible with what i got now? Your advice i much appreciate. Thank you once again.

Regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin
Builds: 155

@sorimachi, RX 460 and RX 560 are very similar in macOS. Get whichever one is in better shape/value.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2