Share:

MBP 2018 Razer Core X Radeon WX 9100 - MBP Detects RCX but not GPU. Any Ideas?  

RSS

(@curtis_shideler_curtneedsaride)
January 9, 2019 8:34 pm  

I've got a MacBook Pro 2018, Razer Core X, and Radeon WX 9100. I've used it for one project before Christmas, and haven't used it since. But today when I plug it in, the MBP sees the Razer Core X, but it does not detect the GPU. Also, the GPU is not powering my external monitor. Everything was compatible last month. Is it possible my card died already? Or is there anything left to check besides cables?

Thanks for any ideas!

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
January 11, 2019 9:03 pm  

Razer Core X and WX 9100 both have native macOS eGPU support. Does the fan spin up on the WX 9100 when you plug the enclosure in? Check all cable connections and make sure the GPU is seated securely in the PCIe slot is the next step.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
(@curtis_shideler_curtneedsaride)
January 22, 2019 5:41 pm  

When I'm not using my eGPU, I have a vertical dock that I slide my closed MBP into and the monitor recognizes it. So, I had previously been trying to plug the eGPU into my closed MBP after taking it out of the dock. However, this last time, I plugged it into my closed MBP and then OPENED the MBP. Once I did that, the monitor came on, and the MBP recognized the eGPU. After that, I could close my MBP and just use my external monitor. 

So, the key point I was different from the previous attempts was that I had the MBP open in order for the eGPU and graphics card to be recognized. I hope the fix to my problem is that easy. I guess the Henge dock has spoiled me from needing to open/close my MBP all the time. I just slide it in and it turns stuff on. The only down side to the eGPU is that it won't work with that dock since the MBP has to be closed in order to be in the dock. Oh well. 

Thanks all for your responses! Hope this helps anyone who also doesn't know what order to plug things in and what needs to be on/open, etc.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 22, 2019 6:43 pm  

eGPUs cannot be plugged in to macs in clamshell sleep from my experience. I count it as a bug, but maybe it was tricky to implement. In any case, Apple missed that one.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
eGPU Hardware Chart
----
Multiple Build Guides