MBP Mid 2015 (M370X) + Asus XG Station Pro + Asus Vega 56 STRIX (macOS 10.13.4 &...

Notifications
Clear all

MBP Mid 2015 (M370X) + Asus XG Station Pro + Asus Vega 56 STRIX (macOS 10.13.4 & Windows 10)  

of  2
  RSS

Locky28
(@locky28)
Eminent Member

This edit window won't let me add text outside of the blockquote :/

That's the link above. I agree that the thermal management in the enclosure sounds great, I just thought this was a cool feature!

My XG Station has arrived in Aus so should be here in the next couple of days for me to test out for myself   😮

Dell U2715H - Samsung T5 External SSD 500GB

2016 13" MacBook Pro [6th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.13.5 // doesn't work well, don't do this) [build link]  

Halbertus liked
ReplyQuote
Halbertus
(@halbertus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: Locky28

The fans are standard four-pin models, so they can also be plugged directly into Strix cards with FanConnect headers. While fan speeds are normally dictated by a thermal diode on the XG Station Pro’s circuit board, FanConnect lets them react directly to the GPU temperature for more responsive cooling.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2018/introducing-xg-station-pro-thunderbolt-3-external-graphics-dock-turns-professional/

That sounds quite interesting! Please report back you findings. I am still very happy with my XG Station, hope you will enjoy it too!

Quick report on windows compatibility:
Today I have updated purge-wrangler script from 3.0.2 to 3.1.0 on my MacBook Mid 2015, booted into windows, eGPU was not recognized. Than I updated windows, had to reboot and surprisingly my external monitor connected to the Vega 56 in XG Station lighted up!
I played a few minutes of Rise of the Tomb Raider in 5120*2880, restarted several times while constantly being connected to lower thunderbolt 2 port. It seems to work kind of reliably now! Screen was always showing up.

Will try same procedure on Mac Pro next.

MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2015 w/ AMD Radeon R9 M370X
Mac Pro 2013 D300 + ASUS XG Station Pro + ASUS ROG VEGA 56
[email protected] Dell UP2715K

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 980 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.11 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Whitesnake
(@whitesnake)

Hey Locky, how is your Asus setup doing?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Macbain80
(@macbain80)

Yes, any update? This is EXACTLY the combo I'm looking at having...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cjay22
(@cjay22)

I, too, am considering the Asus XG Station Pro + Radeon Vega 56 and would love to hear an update

ReplyQuote
 of  2