mid-2012 13" MBP + XFX RX 580 GTS in Razer Core X - works in Win but not Catalin...

Notifications
Clear all

mid-2012 13" MBP + XFX RX 580 GTS in Razer Core X - works in Win but not Catalina 10.15.2 .. initial setup steps?  

RSS

(@motonagual)

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have to admit that, even though I'm a retired web design/development guy and all around computing enthusiast, this thing has me baffled. You know what its like to be driving along and hit a solid bank of fog? That's how I felt when I connected all of the above mentioned gear and fired it up in macOS. I was very excited but quickly realized the truth. I'd passed through the fog and entered the mac third party hardware connectivity twilight zone. Yikes. I'm 66 years old. Bought my first Mac in 1995, have never owned a PC and its been a helluva long time since I've gone through all of this kind of sh** to get a device to work. The last nightmare I remember like it was getting a helicopter sim to work with a third party joystick I got with that first mac in 1995. All of that said...

As I mentioned above, when I connected all of this and fired it up in catalina I got a "no signal" from the monitor connected to the card. Checking the system report I found that the Razer Core X is connected and a "device" is connected to it but not active. So, I began on that trail and tried 2-3 EDID override scripts, DisplayLink, drivers of every shape and variety and experimentation. All of that was met with mixed results with, most positive, in windows 10 where everything works. That is cool, but as I said, I'm a mac guy so I always want to find solutions that work in the environment I prefer.

So, I am here now, beaten, having finally gotten both mac and windows running stably and fully functional again. I have all of the equipment sitting here ready to begin but frankly folks I just need someone with expertise to list the steps they believe, given the setup I've described, have a good chance of succeeding.

Thanks so much for any guidance/info, etc. any of you can offer!

This topic was modified 5 months ago

mid 2012 MBP 9,2 500G SSD 16G RAM Mojave 10.14.6 and bootcamp Windows 10 v1903 - EGPU; razer core x w/rx580
*eGPU connections: Apple TB 3-2 adapt. / Apple .5m TB male/male cable

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@motonagual

If you're not already using a solution from this forum like purge-wrangler or automate-eGPU EFI then you need one of those to unlock the eGPU under macOS. For Catalina I'd recommend just using purge-wrangler.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@motonagual)

@nu_ninja

Yeah, thanks! I used purge-wrangler and everything is up on mac but now I can't boot into w10 without disconnecting the egpu. Then when I hot plug the egpu windows doesn't recognize it. I ran the amd adrenalin download and it didn't recognize it either. This is really a drag because I had the w10 side working beautifully before purge-wrangler. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful to have it worked out on my mac! Back to the drawing board. Any suggestions?

mid 2012 MBP 9,2 500G SSD 16G RAM Mojave 10.14.6 and bootcamp Windows 10 v1903 - EGPU; razer core x w/rx580
*eGPU connections: Apple TB 3-2 adapt. / Apple .5m TB male/male cable

ReplyQuote