Setup & Software Discussions
MBP with HP Omen Accelerator and RX 580 progress, thoughts and questions

MBP with HP Omen Accelerator and RX 580 progress, thoughts and questions  

RSS

ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)

So I've finally made the jump into the eGPU world. Have wanted to do so for a while but waited until I had a TB3 MBP (2018 Core i9).

I got an HP Omen Accelerator, and it's lovely but I've got a few of the usual stumbling blocks and would appreciate any pointers anyone has.
I've scoured the forums and read all the guides but can't seem to find clear answers to my remaining questions.

1- Conflicting Benchmarks
For now I'm just using my laptop screen as the monitor. I know that's not the best idea but my setup doesn't make a monitor easy right now.
Cinebench shows the eGPU Radeon RX 580 to actually be *slower* than the dGPU Radeon Pro 560X, 71fps and 94fps respectively
However Unigine Heaven benchmark shows the RX 580 to be faster at a score of 1571 vs 1179 respectively.
And in the games I have tested I struggle to see a difference in fps.

Is this to be expected? Unigine seems to be the more thorough benchmark but I don't see it reflected in the games I tried (WoW, Diablo III, both using Metal.)

2- "Your eGPU was not properly disconnected".
On waking from sleep I get this message.
The HP Omen accelerator seems to have a headache and will only reconnect the devices if you restart the eGPU box, otherwise you only get power to the MBP.

I have tried disabling hibernate, which was the only advice I could find, but that didn't help. Looks like I'll have to disconnect the eGPU before sleep.

3- Firmware Updates
So this one's the biggie. I want to check that the FW versions are all up-to-date etc.
The only way I can see to do this is via BootCamp.
I have followed the instructions to the best of my abilities (I thought I was a power user- you guys put me to shame) but always fall down after running integrated.bat and restarting again using EFI Boot. The screen goes bonkers on boot just after giving me the Blue Windows logo and never recovers. Even restoring to the DDU restore point doesn't help. I usually just go back and re-install Windows at that point. 

Having said that I'm not yet focused on getting the eGPU fully working in Windows, I just want to update the HP Omen FW. Even when Windows detects the eGPU (I can see it to eject it in Windows) the HP Omen software doesn't detect it.

I'll keep working on getting it properly installed on Windows (and getting past error 12) but for now does anyone have a feeling why the Omen SW might not detect the eGPU even when Windows clearly does?
________

You guys are an awesome community. Any and all thoughts and debugging tips gratefully accepted. I'll update this thread with my progress just to keep my head straight on it all.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
steve500
(@steve500)
Eminent Member

I am betting the HP Omen firmware update utility does not support the latest Titan Ridge thunderbolt controller the 2018 macbook pros and other pc laptops have. This will be up to HP to fix. This is also an issue with the updater utility on the Gigabyte Aorus egpu boxes. I argued and argued with gigabyte customer support about this- just because I mentioned macbook pro, they did not want to support me and instead told me to use a PC with thunderbolt to do the update. I had to remind them that macbooks are pc's and there are other pc laptops out there now that run the same intel Titan Ridge thunderbolt controller that also cannot update their firmware because the firmware updater is not supporting the latest thunderbolt controllers. 

I was able to update my eGPU using a 2016 macbook pro and downgrading the driver version as gigabyte's firmware update utility recommends that I do, and it worked. The downgraded/older thunderbolt driver does not work on Titan Ridge machines.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)

Steve,

Thanks- just to be clear the Omen seems to work OK (I can see the external GPU being used) it's just the updating I cannot do from Bootcamp.

I'll dig around to see what friends I have with TB3 ports and see if I can con them into checking the FW versions etc.

ReplyQuote
rloureiro
(@rloureiro)

Is this working on macOS ? Trying to install with my MBP HighSierra, but it won't start... gets the reboot screen every time.

Have you been able to make it work on macOS or only works with Windows bootcamp?

ReplyQuote
ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)

I have it working fine with an AMD RX580 and Mac OS Mojave, which will work better than High Sierra.

I do have the 'EGPU not disconnected properly' issue- but I solved that with a simple Keyboard Maestro macro that ejects the eGPU on sleep.

I have *not* been able to make the Omen Accelerator work on Windows in Bootcamp with either the AMD RX580 nor with an Nvidia GTX 970. There are reports of people making it work, but nobody seems to be able to make the HP software for it work in Bootcamp.

ReplyQuote
rloureiro
(@rloureiro)

@ScremingPict thanks for the update. I'm still getting the 'Black Screen of Death' on my Mac when I connect the Omen with the RX580 card installed. This happens on both my MBP... a MBP 13 (High Sierra) and an Air 2 (Mojave).
If I remove the graphics card from the Omen, then I can connect the Omen without any problems, and even use it as Usb hub, which points me towards a problem with the RX580 ?

Any ideas on how to validate if the RX580 is somehow defective? I don't have a windows machine where I can install it to verify. Any other ideas?

ReplyQuote
ScreamingPict
(@screamingpict)

Afraid I'm a real n00b when it comes to Graphics cards myself. Not sure what the best option is unless you have a friend with an AMD graphics card you can borrow to test with?

ReplyQuote
torete
(@torete)

Hi, I see that nobody answers you. I have another problem on my macbook pro in mid-2012 13", I connect and use the script and all the steps, but nothing happens with the egpu, I have replaced it and the same thing is happening. Y520 and the same thing happens, I thought maybe the graphic card could be the problem and I bought another one.
Could you solve it? I think the problem is that it does not detect the adapter correctly.

ReplyQuote