Setup & Software Discussions
MBP15 2017 + RTX 2080

MBP15 2017 + RTX 2080  

RSS

Mikirubio
(@mikirubio)

Good night everyone,

I am new in the forum. So, if I am repeating the question, sorry for that, but I am still getting familiar with the website. 

It's been a while since the idea of using an nVidia eGPU with my MBP15 2017 appeared in my mind. The thing is that I would like to take profit from CUDA architecture for using tensorflow, pytorch and some other tools like them, but Apple partnership with AMD is a barrier for this. 

That's why I would like to know how straightforward is to setup an RTX 2080 as an eGPU. I do not mind doing it with Bootcamp or macOS (but if it could be compatible with both, using non-official drivers, it would be awesome). I have read that the MBP15 that already include dedicated graphics (like mine) add complexity to the setup.

Could you please help me with this? I would not like to spend near 1.500 euros to then not being capable of properly use the hardware. 

Thanks in advance,

This topic was modified 9 months ago

MacBook Pro 15” 2017, i7 3.1GHz, Radeon Pro 560

ReplyQuote
Mikirubio
(@mikirubio)

Is there someone who can help me?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@mikirubio At the moment you may only use the RTX 2080 in Windows Boot Camp. For CUDA and compute tasks, you don’t need internal display acceleration by the eGPU. Therefore hot-plugging the RTX 2080 eGPU in Windows should be all you need to do setting it up.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

consider nvidia 10 series (1070 / 1080) and macos 10.13.6. nvidia drivers should work for both windows bootcamp and MacOS high sierra (nvidia web driver version for high sierra). not sure it will accelerate your pro app workflows in 10.13.6, but potentially better value as nvidia 20 series has no drivers for any MacOS.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Mikirubio
(@mikirubio)

Posted by: itsage

@mikirubio At the moment you may only use the RTX 2080 in Windows Boot Camp. For CUDA and compute tasks, you don't need internal display acceleration by the eGPU. Therefore hot-plugging the RTX 2080 eGPU in Windows should be all you need to do setting it up.

@itsage Thanks for your info. I think this should be enough for me. Let's hope nvidia drivers get out for macOS at some points (or at least some unofficial ones)

Posted by: esatamacmodular

consider nvidia 10 series (1070 / 1080) and macos 10.13.6. nvidia drivers should work for both windows bootcamp and MacOS high sierra (nvidia web driver version for high sierra). not sure it will accelerate your pro app workflows in 10.13.6, but
potentially better value as nvidia 20 series has no drivers for any MacOS.

@esatamacmodular The think why I was interested in RTX is because I have read about its wonderful capabilities for tensor multiplication. However, I will also consider your option since it would involve less money and next year I could update the graphics card if they eventually come up with drivers for macOS.

Thank you both for your info, it has helped me a lot since I am a bit noob in this topic of eGPUs.

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote