Clear all

Mid-2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M Master Thread  

of  3
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@stillsmile

It’s mentioned in the main post: purge-nvda.

Author: purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
stillsmile
(@stillsmile)

@mac_editor

I think i missed the point that i cant use normally any eGPU + External monitor cuz of my 750m...Crap...

So under mac os i need to go with loop connection with EGPU + normally connects my monitors?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
naticom
(@naticom)
Eminent Member

Just an update. I accidentally upgrade my 2014 MBP from Mojave to Catalina and my Bootcamp Win 10 still works without any problem while connecting with an eGPU. No hotplug is needed.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
toast
(@toast)

After researching various build posts (linked from the "builds" table), I went ahead and picked up a Razer Core X to use with my 2014 MBP. My main goal is to use it with Boot Camp. The GPU I'm currently using is a GTX 660Ti, and I may soon be upgrading to a used GTX 770, thanks to a friend. These are both Kepler cards.

In any case, it seems to work reasonably well in Boot Camp without too much effort. All I had to do was:

• install boot camp - I wanted a fresh re-install of Win10 without disrupting my Mac partition, so I used the EFI boot that was available in my alt-key boot menu when my Windows 10 thumb drive was plugged in; this got around the "this disk cannot be used" error for my Boot Camp partition
  • Unlike my original Boot Camp install (several years old at this point), I set a System Restore point
  • Installed the Boot Camp drivers
  • Ran Windows update until it wouldn't run anymore
  • Plugged the Razer Core X into the Macbook via the TB3->TB2 cable
  • Rebooted
  • Installed the Geforce drivers (442, I think; whatever was current as of Feb 20,2020 ....aka yyyymmdd: 20200220)
  • Rebooted; stuff seemed to work. However, while my external display (plugged into the Razer) is clearly running on the 660Ti, the internal display is using "Windows Basic Display" -- I can't set the resolution, I can't use the dimming keys, I can't turn the backlight off. It's rather annoying. Performance seems to noticeably improve when I set my Display Settings to "Display only on Display 2" (the external). I'm not sure if the performance hit is coming from the eGPU driving the internal display? Or just the additional overhead of the internal GPU (not sure if it's picking up the GT750M or the intel chipset).
  • I downloaded DDU and booted into safe mode to run it; set it to uninstall nVidia GPU drivers; then rebooted and reinstalled the Geforce drivers; same result

Last night, I tried playing Elite: Dangerous for about 20 minutes, and after I quit and left the room, and came back, suddenly my external display was no longer working. Device Manager showed a problem with the 660 Ti. A number of reboots and power-down/power-ups (of the laptop, of the enclosure) and re-plugging of cables did not fix anything. It was ultimately fixed by booting into safe-mode, running DDU again, and reinstalling the Geforce drivers. This brought me back to where I was.

So right now, my main outstanding issue is that:

• I'd really like to turn off the backlight of my internal display - it's just displaying a black screen
  • alternatively, I'd like to enable either the GT750M or the intel chipset with the correct drivers and see if that helps retain performance and the internal LCD controls while netting me an additional display (the internal one)

Since I want to use this for gaming, getting the internal display to work as a screen isn't critical. I'd be just as happy to see it properly "off". I don't like the idea of just running it like a curtained nightlight. My plan is to try getting one of the EFI boot loader solutions that can be used to boot into boot camp, which (presumably?) disables the GT750M. Hopefully Windows can do a better job using the GT660Ti alongside the intel chipset, since the Geforce drivers don't seem do it correctly.

Does anyone know how to disable the internal display backlighting while in boot camp?

edit: Happy to say that I've solved my main problem, but in the process created another question. I was able to get both the 660Ti and the 750M to behave by installing an older Geforce driver (v325, the one recommended by nvidia.com for the 750M). Now I can finally fully adjust my internal LCD, including having it fully shut off!

My only question now is whether or not it's worth it to investigate an apple_set_efi type solution to disable the GT750M in favor of the iGPU, and use that in conjunction with the 660Ti on current drivers? I doubt the more recent drivers would provide any benefit to such an old card (the 660Ti), but...maybe?

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
bps1981
(@bps1981)

@mac_editor thanks for this very helpful thread, as I'm considering an eGPU for a late 2013 MBP 15" with 750M, and considering my options for Mac OS and Windows bootcamp gaming with an external monitor. 

ReplyQuote
ecnezie
(@ecnezie)

Thanks for all your work!

I have the same MBP, and hoping to boost rendering from vfx/editing apps (nuke, resolve, houdini+redshift...) I'm thinking to get a RazerX + T3>T2 adapter + Nvidia card (for CUDA).

Thinking of an used 1080ti... not Kepler I guess. Would this possibly work?

If: I keep High Sierra, use PurgeWrangler, possibly purge-nvda if I want to plug a second monitor to the enclosure, forget bootcamp, and as regarding special boot procedure... I'm not really sure. Other sources were saying not booting with eGPU attached, and don't unplug it until the mac is off.

I found this similar build, but without 750M:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/MacBook-pro-retina-15-inch-early-2013-akitio-node-1080-ti-external-monitor/

I hope the possible bootleneck with the old CPU and T2 could be ok for now, since it's about rendering from software and not gaming. I'd like to keep using this eGPU setup as extra, once I will upgrade to a new machine.

Thanks for your patience

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", mid 2014) + 2.8 i7 + GT750M + macOS 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
Radek
 Radek
(@Radek)

Hello, I have experience with both nVidia and AMD cards on macOS High Sierra and Catalina. I used to use MBP 15 inch late 2013 w/ GT750M with AORUS Gaming Box GTX1070 running on High Sierra and I had to connect eGPU to TB2 port immediately after selecting boot drive (on pressing Alt key during turning laptop on). It was annoying for me. So I bought Razer Core X w/ AMD Radeon RX5700XT. Razer works under Catalina and well, but I have to run purge-nvda.sh still to disable dGPU GT750M to run external display (with GTX1070 too). But it is working much better according to AMD drivers compatibility with macOS 10.14+. I can connect eGPU whenever after macOS boot without need to hit exact time during boot to get that working. I use purge-wrangler enabler of course. Performance is good for both variant Aorus + GTX1070 and variant Razer Core X + AMD RX5700XT. With AMD I can use external GPU to accelerate Lightroom/Photoshop/Blender. With GTX1070 I wasn't able to get working well. Maybe my fault. 

Best
Radek

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@ecnezie, No point looking at builds of similar Macs but without the 750M - this alone changes the eGPU game completely. Yes it may work but at this time I cannot recommend it at all. I have a couple builds for the 750M (though older) which you can look at for reference.

Author: purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ecnezie
(@ecnezie)

Hi @mac_editor

Thanks for the reply.

I followed the instructions from your 750M builds and the macro thread... all working perfectly now (purge-nvda was needed to use openCL in some apps, as you mentioned). Many thanks for your scripts!

Only thing, sometimes the CPU spikes to extreme values, over 90%. I kill everything, but seems related to some internal process.Anyway this is very rare so far, and letting the machine rest and /or restart it fixes the issue. I'm happy for now, if it's the price to run this amount of Nvidia GPU power on my old MBP. Thanks again!

This post was modified 11 months ago

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15", mid 2014) + 2.8 i7 + GT750M + macOS 10.13.6

ReplyQuote
emericad
(@emericad)

I everyone,

thanx mac_editor for all this awesome work.

I also got this 2014 macbookpro with the 750M dgpu. My main goal is to improve my workflow and my render with After Effect and Premiere. I'm trying to learn and understand all the informations you compile here. So far I'm thinking to upgrade to Catalina, buy a used Razer Core X and an AMD 5700 which if I understood well might be a possible build with your different scripts or goalque. But the thing is that I mainly use my macbookpro as a laptop in different places without any external monitor... And this is where I still uncertain of the possible gain of worflow and render speed with my only internal monitor and this egpu build.

Do you I might improve my workflow or not that much ?

Thank you again,

Emeric.

ReplyQuote
 of  3