Setup & Software Discussions
Mid 2015 - 15" MBP EGPU options

Mid 2015 - 15" MBP EGPU options  

RSS

Oddious
(@oddious)

Hello everyone , 

Long time follower of the eGPU scene. Had a set up years ago with a SFF U1 Power supply and an Expresscard slot set up that worked well before moving on to other projects . 

I have several options available to me and would like to know what you all think would be the best route. 

I guess first off would be the host computer . 

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB with AMD Radeon R9 M370X

I would like to be able to buy a TB3 Inclosure and a GTX1060. one of the Akitio Thunder 3 or the Node .  

I am fine with Playing games in Windows OS and would like to be able to play on an external Monitor . 

My only issue of confusion is ……… with my Mac having TB2 am I able to Use the Akitio TB3 offerings ? 

this is what confuses me  : Note: Better value Thunderbolt 3 enclosures can be used on Mac Thunderbolt 2 or 1 systems via a US$49 Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter, but not on PCs.

and if so type of set up would i need to run ? External Monitor only ? 

I ask because the next computer that i will be using with this set up will be the 2016 or 2017 MacBook Pro

( I use my work computer for everything and i will be due for an upgrade next year some time) 

thank you in advance for you help . 

Hats off to all the guys who have been leading the way for the last 10 years on this project.  can’t believe it has been this long 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Oddius, welcome to egpu.io. Yes, DIY eGPU's 8th bday will be coming up soon.

Your M370x 15" MBP has had good success using TB3 enclosures in both macOS and Windows.  Both OS can make use of an eGPU accelerated internal LCD. For more details, pls refer to these egpu.io user experience about your intended implementation:
https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%22%3ETB3%22

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator

The Mid-2015 15" MBP is actually fairly awesome with regards to eGPU setups, and most external graphics cards will work with a TB3 + Adapter Enclosure. For AMDs, it is recommended, however, to avoid the XFX brand, and you can freely choose NVIDIA.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + Vega 64 [Sonnet Breakaway 350 -> 600W]

ReplyQuote
igerard
(@igerard)
Estimable Member

I described my own config, with a GTX 980 ti EVGA with water cooling

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/working-configuration-and-fan-monitoring/#post-10360

The mistake I made at first is precisely the connection between my laptops and the Node... I was thinking something like USBC female to a TB2 male adapater than use the given USBC/TB3 cable.

The TB2 <--> TB3 is very specific, you need a TB2 <--> TB2 cable from Apple, because the TB adapter is TB2 female and TB3 male.

It add some expenses to the whole thing, but you get a longer cable, because the one delivered with the Node is too short to be confortable. 

Still something to do on the sound side... excepted that, completely happy with the setup... great performances and great capabilities.

MBP 2018, Touch Bar, i7 2.6 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1T SSD, Radeon 560X... very nice!
eGPU : Akitio Node + RX 580 + GTX 980 Ti + Vega64

ReplyQuote
Oddious
(@oddious)

Thank you for all the great information . 

With My 2015 15"  Macbook pro , from what i am reading i just want to make sure my end goal is realistic. 

1) I want to buy the Node TB3 ( for future builds

2) I would like to play World Of Warcraft on an External Monitor . 

3) i would like to get a gtx 1060 or a gtx 1070

4) will this be possible to do on Mac OS . ( i know the new Pascal drivers are not optimized ) 

I would like to stay within the Mac os due to the fact that this is a work computer and do not want to dual boot the drive. 

Would i be better to go with a GTX 980 if i want to stay in mac OS for gaming ? 

thanks for the help 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Hi guys,

in a few days I will be testing my Razor X TB3 eGPU box with Vega 56 on the same machine as in this thread question (MacBook Pro 15” 2.5 ghz). My question is since I am on Mojave, do I have to use any of the scripts or will it work plug and play directly?

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

ReplyQuote
Netcho
(@netcho)

Got my build working on Mid 2015 MBP. I will post info and pics of my experience.

MacBook Pro 2015 15” 2.5 GHz

ReplyQuote