Mid2015 AMD R9 M370X MBP keeps crashing

Notifications
Clear all

Mid2015 AMD R9 M370X MBP keeps crashing  

RSS

n1000
(@n1000)

Hello

I have a trusted setup with a Aikition eGPU with the nVidia 970 inside. This has been a great setup and I gamed through the whole Witcher 3 series with it *sigh* on my mid2012 MBP.

However, I just bought the mid2015 MBP with the AMD R9 M370X dGPU. I installed Windows 10 and things were pretty easy to setup. All I had to do was to install the nVidia driver. But after ca. 10 minutes of gaming the setup will crash. Normally the screen goes blank and I still hear sound or the whole thing shuts down.

Does anybody have a hint where I should start looking? I have no clue where the error comes from, given that I had no issues on my previous MacBook.

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Have you tried disabling the dGPU, AMD R9 M370x?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Does 'whole thing shuts down' refer to the MBP or eGPU? If it's the MBP, load Throttlestop software and monitor your CPU temps, noting if you are above 90 degrees. A system will power down to save itself from overheating damage.

If it's the eGPU gear that is shutting down, check your PSU and Thunderbolt cable. Worthwhile testing using another TB2 port just in case another location gives better immunity to EMI noise.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
n1000
(@n1000)

Posted by: nando4

Does 'whole thing shuts down' refer to the MBP or eGPU? If it's the MBP, load Throttlestop software and monitor your CPU temps, noting if you are above 90 degrees. A system will power down to save itself from overheating damage.

If it's the eGPU gear that is shutting down, check your PSU and Thunderbolt cable. Worthwhile testing using another TB2 port just in case another location gives better immunity to EMI noise.  

Hi Nando. Nice you are here. Your egpu tool worked like a charm on my Win8.1 /mid2012 rig.

Hm. I have never seen a MacBook overheat. It will throttle before or not? But I will give it a try and measure the CPU temp. I am not sure yet what exactly happens. I believe Windows is still active but the GPU shuts down. Normally the external screen goes black, the GPU fan turns off. Since I deactivated the internal monitor I can't escape and have to force shutdown. Good idea about trying the second TB port.

I get twice the framerate compared to my previous setup. So your theory could be correct  that the GPU does draw more power than before. I use the Dell power brick and the fancy black/yellow cable setup from ebay. That should normally provide enough power for a GTX 970 or not?

@itsage: Yes, I did. However, I am not sure if correctly. I simply disabled it in the Device Manager. Maybe I should have rebooted?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

A GTX970, especially overclocked, can certainly cause shutdown of a Dell DA-2 under prolonged use. Do you have access to a decent ATX PSU? If so, it's an easy swap over to test reliability using it instead to isolate the (likely) power issue.

Posted by: n1000

I get twice the framerate compared to my previous setup. So your theory could be correct  that the GPU does draw more power than before. I use the Dell power brick and the fancy black/yellow cable setup from ebay. That should normally provide enough power for a GTX 970 or not?  

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
n1000
(@n1000)

I see... I found this article on TI (we don't link those here, right?) where this article is linked. So apparently the GTX 970 is drawing more power than specified by nVidia and probably the Dell DA-2 has a problem ramping up the power fast enough. Thanks for pointing me in this direction - and no, I don't have an ATX to test 🙁

Since I will probably end up buying an ATX PSU before Christmas 😉 can you give me a kickstart? What cables will I need? How do I turn it on/off? What should I get (wattage and bang-for-buck wise)?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ATX PSU requires a molex-to-barrel connector to plug into the AKiTiO DC jack. Also requires the paperclip trick (jumper green+black wire) on ATX 20/24 pin connector to jumper the PSU into action.

Before doing that, use MSI Afterburner to decrease your power target to say 75%. The idea being to lower power draw and decrease DA-2 load from shutting down due to overload circuitry kicking in.

Also, decreasing core voltage in MSI Afterburner will also decrease power draw but be careful. Lower voltages there can lead to an unstable GTX970.

Posted by: n1000

I see... I found this article on TI (we don't link those here, right?) where this article is linked. So apparently the GTX 970 is drawing more power than specified by nVidia and probably the Dell DA-2 has a problem ramping up the power fast enough. Thanks for pointing me in this direction - and no, I don't have an ATX to test 🙁

Since I will probably end up buying an ATX PSU before Christmas 😉 can you give me a kickstart? What cables will I need? How do I turn it on/off? What should I get (wattage and bang-for-buck wise)?

ReplyQuote
n1000
(@n1000)

Thank you Nando. I will test if my system is stable with 75% load and if so invest in the ATX. Will report back if that solved my issues.

ReplyQuote
n1000
(@n1000)

Short update:

Yesterday I could run my eGPU setup for several hours. This time I rebooted after disabling the AMD dGPU, used the other TB port, and reduced the power target to 80% in MSI Afterburner. Then I kept increasing the power target in little steps back to 100% but no crashes appeared. So I am still not fully sure what was the prime cause for my crashes. But I still suspect the power source is to blame. I will keep looking and update this thread.

Thank you everybody for the valuable inputs!

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote