Moved Radeon RX 5700 TX from MacPro 5,1 to Razer CoreX eGPU chassis for 2019 13"...

Notifications
Clear all

Moved Radeon RX 5700 TX from MacPro 5,1 to Razer CoreX eGPU chassis for 2019 13" MBP -> result is a lot of flickering on Delll P2715Q monitors  

RSS

Randolph Kahle
(@randolph_kahle)

I am looking for feedback/help. I have a Radeon RX 5700 TX 8GB card. I was running it in a MacPro 5,1 driving my two Dell P2715Q monitors and the display was solid, crisp, and very easy on my eyes.

I grew tired of trying to keep my MacPro 5,1 running the latest MacOS so I bought a 2019 13" MacBook Pro, a Razer CoreX eGPU box and moved the graphics card to the eGPU.

The result is that I cannot look at these screens for very long before my eyes hurt. Instead of the rock-solid white background I see a lot of flickering.

Any tips from anyone? What should I try to fix this?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@randolph_kahle, Which cable are you using to connect the eGPU to the dual Dell P2715Q monitors? Have you checked to confirm the refresh rates are at 60 Hz?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Randolph Kahle
(@randolph_kahle)

@itsage, I order two new high speed DisplayPort 1.4 cables (backwards OK with DP 1.2 which the monitor supports). I'll get them tomorrow and I'll test those. Meanwhile I am using an LG ultrafine 5K monitor to see how my eyes work with this in my office. So far, it's good.

I'll update tomorrow.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote