[Need Help] AORUS Gaming Box 1070 + Macbook Pro 2017 15" (10.13.4/10.13.5) = Very slow external display, no internal display  

nkahoang
(@nkahoang)
June 9, 2018 9:56 am  

Hi everyone,

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I pulled the trigger and purchased the AORUS Gaming Box 1070 to use with my MacBook Pro 2017 15" (with Radeon 560 graphic).
+ On the Windows 10 side, things are working wonderfully; I even ran some machine learning experiments on it and it's seriously good.
+ On the Mac side, I'm having serious issues.

NVIDIA Driver: 387.10.10.10.35.106

The symptom is that, when the AORUS box is in used, my internal display goes black, and the external display is super slow (mouse lagging, clicking takes seconds to response). However, the card seems to work! Running CUDA-Z reports good performance of ~ 2000MB/s. However, due to the high latency, the setup is unusable.

On Display preferences, I can see my internal Radeon 560 is powering the black internal screen; while the 1070 powering my external screen via HDMI cable (at 1080p).

I have done many researches on this forum, the eGPU subreddit and other places; I reinstalled 10.13.4 from scratch, 10.13.5 from scratch, and still no go. Like someone mentioned here, I did tried 1) plugging in the card on login screen / 2) plugging in the card after logged in and then log out, log in again / 3) plug in after the apple logo; no combination seems to work.

I tried the fr34ks's script, tried installing web driver manually/applying NVIDIA eGPU Enabler, reinstalled with many different combinations; and the problem is still the same.

----

Can anyone give me any help / hint? I really want it to work. I cannot downgrade to anything < 10.13.4 due to an XCode requirement.

Thanks in advance!

ReplyQuote