Share:

Need help please: mid 2015 MacBook Pro + PowerColor Gaming Station + Vega VII Mojave/Bootcamp  

RSS

JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
March 15, 2019 3:51 pm  

Need help please: mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15 + PowerColor Gaming Station + Vega VII Mojave/Bootcamp

Hey guys.  I can’t seem to find any answers for this.  Basically I have a mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15 and a Vega VII (on the way).  I want to run the egpu in bootcamp with a TB2 to TB3 adapter.  I keep reading bootcamp with AMD egpus is a no-go.  Is that true, and if not can someone point me to/explain what I need to do to get it up and running.  Thanks guys

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
March 15, 2019 4:52 pm  
Posted by: JediTreasley

I keep reading bootcamp with AMD egpus is a no-go.

@jeditreasley Not true. As for Boot Camp compatibility, you've one of the best Macs ever made. M370X model should be plug and play with AMD eGPUs,

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/rx-vega-on-bootcamp/#post-20049

However, your enclosure choice is not the best. If behaviour is the same as with Devil Box, you cannot cold boot with eGPU plugged in, because of the USB/RJ45 connectors at the rear (Apple firmware halts). You have to hot plug.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
JediTreasley
(@jeditreasley)
March 15, 2019 4:55 pm  
Posted by: goalque
Posted by: JediTreasley

I keep reading bootcamp with AMD egpus is a no-go.

@jeditreasley Not true. As for Boot Camp compatibility, you've one of the best Macs ever made. M370X model should be plug and play with AMD eGPUs,

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/rx-vega-on-bootcamp/#post-20049

However, your enclosure choice is not the best. If behaviour is the same as with Devil Box, you cannot cold boot with eGPU plugged in, because of the USB/RJ45 connectors at the rear (Apple firmware halts). You have to hot plug.

Interesting!  What would you recommend instead?  Thanks for the reply.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin
March 15, 2019 5:08 pm  

Well, you still should be able to hot plug during the boot or after logged in. From my experience, any enclosure without extra ports should be ok.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + [email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/[email protected] (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@arden_shibley)
Eminent Member
March 15, 2019 7:51 pm  

You're gonna have a hard time running it in Mojave unless you're at least running 10.14.4 Beta 5, or wait til March 25th(?) for full release for Mac OS X RVII drivers.

They're getting closer to RVII on OS X but not sure if it'll make the release to coincide with Apple News or whatever, or if it'll get scrapped/pushed to 10.14.5 which at this rate will be like... May 2019.

2018 15" MBP, 2.6GHz 32GB 1TB Vega Pro 20, Razer Core X, AMD Radeon VII (Waiting for OS X Drivers), MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Wave

ReplyQuote