Need help with 2014 MacBook Retina using Bootcamp - connecting to an NVIDIA 1060...

Notifications
Clear all

Need help with 2014 MacBook Retina using Bootcamp - connecting to an NVIDIA 1060 in a Razer Chroma  

RSS

antimony
(@antimony)

System

• MacBook 2014 15" Retina
  • Intel Core i7-4770HQ @2.20 GHZ
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel Iris GPU
  • Windows 10 Pro 2004
  • MacOS Big Sur

GPU

• NVIDIA 1060
  • Razer Chroma

Connectors

Steps Taken so far

• Method 1: MacBook booted into Windows. Hotplugged into TB2 outlet. GPU not detected
  • Method 2: MacBook restarted into Windows, GPU plugged in as soon as Windows logo appears and the circle starts forming (multiple attempts). GPU not detected
  • Method 3: Booted into Mac OS, installed purge wrangler, installed AMD GPU (I know I don't have an AMD card, but this was to try and enable TB2). Restarted with Windows and hotplugged GPI at the start. GPU not detected

I can see the GPU come on (I can see the lights) but the Graphics adapter stubbornly keeps showing up only the Intel Iris. The card works fine on a different 2019 MacBook Air with TB3 ports.

Possible Workarounds that I have not tried

• automate-eGPU EFI   - I am not even sure what this actually does
  • Downgrade from Big Sur to High Sierra (not sure how I would do that even or if it would help in Bootcamp)

what else should I try? What am I missing?  Is there any other way to make Windows recognise the TB2 port? I have not been able to find a build or set up quite like mine in the Build section.

2014 15" MacBook Pro 16GB w Intel IRIS 5200 iGPU + NVIDIA 1060 6GB - Razer Core Chroma + Win10 2004

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@antimony, Do you see the eGPU enclosure in macOS under System Information > Thunderbolt?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
antimony
(@antimony)

@itsage, Yes, I can see the Razer Core X Chroma there

2014 15" MacBook Pro 16GB w Intel IRIS 5200 iGPU + NVIDIA 1060 6GB - Razer Core Chroma + Win10 2004

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@antimony, That's good the Thunderbolt connection is active and it's not a hardware issue. Older Macs don't have good hot-plug support of Thunderbolt devices so you may want to use cold-plug (eGPU connected prior to booting into Windows). EFI boot loader such as automate-egpu helps this cold-plug process by keeping the iGPU activated. Otherwise, the MacBook Pro internal display would be black due to disabled iGPU.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
antimony
(@antimony)

@itsage, I cannot see it on the windows side though. I guess I am able to see it on the MacOS side because I ran Purge wrangler. I am assuming you are suggesting I run automate-egpu

Do I need to uninstall Purge Wrangler before I do that?

ReplyQuote
JamesJMury1
(@jamesjmury1)

I have had the option to get it to work with Bootcamp and Windows 10 before, yet at this point it goes to the previously mentioned dark stacking screen on my PC and a dark screen on the outer screen associated with the egpu.

YourTexasBenefits

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
antimony
(@antimony)

Actions taken since the last update:

• Uninstalled Purge-wrangler
  • Installed automate-eGPU EFI on a flash drive
  • Re-Booted into MacOs using EFI: Result - MacOS bricked, NVIDIA card recognized
  • Re-booted into Windows using EFI: Result - Windows works fine, NVIDIA card recognized
  • Updated Drivers for NVIDIA. The card can be seen on GPU-Z

Problems

• MacOS not booting, which is a major concern now. Will look into Safe mode or recovery 
  • External Monitor not getting recognized when plugged into GPU. I have tried HDMI and DVI options. Not working at all. If I plug the external monitor directly to the laptop it works but then it defeats the purpose of the GPU as the Intel Iris iGPU would still control it

Question:

• How can I get the external monitor to work with the eGPU?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@antimony, the GTX 1060 is not gonna work on macOS Big Sur irrespective of what you try so there is no need to mess with the macOS side of things. If you really need the 1060 to work there, backup your data and then downgrade to macOS High Sierra. For Windows, the EFI bootloader is only useful for keeping the iGPU enabled when booting with an eGPU plugged in, which is required for all TB devices on pre-2015 macs (hotplug on Windows not supported). You should take a look at similar builds on this forum for further reference. Setup should be relatively simple for your Mac.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
antimony
(@antimony)

I am still tinkering with this setup. When I try to go Windows Graphics settings to add the game I want to play (Elite Dangerous), it shows me only the Microsoft Basic Render Driver. DSdiag tool also shows the Microsoft Basic Render only.

Device Manager shows NVIDIA is working properly (no error 12 or error 43).

Any clues as to what might be wrong? External display still not showing up

ReplyQuote