Notifications
Clear all

Need Help with iMac 5k 27" Late 2013 and Akitio Node with Asus GTX 1050Ti  

RSS

Zeus
 Zeus
(@zeus)

Hello. I am new to most of this. To keep it simple, this is what I have:

- Apple iMac 5k 27" Late 2013 (macOS High Sierra 10.13.2)

- Akitio Node with Asus GTX 1050Ti 4GB in it

- TB3-->TB2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt 2 Cable connecting iMac and Akitio Node

- HP 22xi Monitor, connected to Akitio Node with HDMI Cable

So I currently have everything working but one problem. The HP 22xi has a black screen for the whole time. In System Information, the GTX 1050Ti is present, and it shows that it is connected to the HP 22xi, and that the Nvidia GT 755M (internal gpu) is connected to the iMac. Everything seems right, but the HP 22xi monitor has a black screen. 

The monitor does indicate that it is connected via HDMI, but it's screen in black.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hi there, what eGPU software have you installed? Did you follow the instructions (specifically for the workaround) as per this post?

If everything is showing as connected in System Report then try doing a log off then log on (do not reboot) and the magic might happen. Don't forget to make your external monitor your primary display in System Preferences -> Displays as well.

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zeus
 Zeus
(@zeus)

Hello again. Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, I have already followed the instructions in the post linked. I have tried logging off and logging back in. The external display is already set as the primary display. I am using the Nvidia web driver, and the eGpu has already recognized the 1050Ti.

What I have noticed, though, is that when I move my mouse across the screen to the external monitor, the mouse pointer is present. It clearly moves around the external display as I move my mouse, but the rest of the screen is black. The only thing other than the blackness of the external display is the mouse pointer. It seems as if everything is working, and the iMac recognizes the external display (as the mouse works in it), but the iMac does not use it. It is simply black.

Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DANgerous25
(@danfalconar)
Estimable Member

Hmmm that's a good one. I was going to suggest trying displayport rather than HDMI (assuming you have that option), but given that your mouse pointer is working on the other screen then that's probably something else.

Can you confirm that you are doing this sequence:

1. Shutdown
  2. Disconnect eGPU from the iMac
  3. Start iMac with eGPU disconnected and log in
  4. Connect eGPU
  5. Wait 30s then go to System Report to verify that the Akitio Node has been picked up
  6. Log off (don't reboot / don't switch user)
  7. Log in

Then that should be it...

If that still doesn't work, try these long shots:

• Do sleep/wake and see if that fixes it (it worked for me when using a previous solution, but I don't need it with High Sierra)
  • Try DisplayPort rather than HDMI
  • Try turning the external screen on/off after doing all of the sequence described above
  • Try using an app like SwitchResX to see if it recognises your external display and lets you change it's resolution (maybe it will wake it up)
  • Try a different TB2 cable
  • Try a different graphics card if you have one

If all else fails then maybe there's something wrong with your eGPU hardware, as there are plenty of folks (myself included) that have got iMac 5Ks working with the TB2-TB3 adapter in a similar setup.

Good luck!

2017 27" iMac Pro (Vega64) [7th,10C,W] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Zeus
 Zeus
(@zeus)

Hello again. Forgot to post it here, but I got it working last night. Problem seemed to have been from my drivers, even though they detected eGPU.

To fix it, it took quite the work.

I was first going to try to play with the timing of plugging in the Thunderbolt 2 cable, but I wanted to tweak some Nvidia Web Driver settings. In doing so, I accidentally chose to use the default macOS Drivers. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT MACOS DRIVERS FOR THE EGPU. ONLY USE THE LATEST, AND VERIFIED VERSION OF NVIDIA'S WEB DRIVERS. In changing the drivers, I put my iMac into a endless boot. It would never finish booting. The loading icon that appears when the iMac is turned on never finishes. At this time, I was scared to lose my iMac. I then followed some instructions of deleting the Nvidia Web Drivers from the Terminal in recovery mode. While it was difficult knowing what the HDD is named as to browse through the library, I found out that you can use "*" instead of the HDD name, assuming you only have one user and one HDD, in place of it's actual name.

Nevertheless, I followed with rebooting. The boot issue seemed to have been fixed. I then immediatley went into the App Store and installed the latest version of macOS High Sierra, 17C205. When done, I went again, and followed the links in THIS POST, installing the latest version that was just posted, 17C205, and running it.

After the work was done and such, I rebooted my iMac. I was quite scared of it not working, but as crazy as it may have been, it worked.

Now I know that for someone else to get it working, they will not go through all the pain I went through. But as a summary to all of this, PLEASE CHECK YOUR DRIVERS. All of this was caused by the drivers not working properly, even though they appeared to have been working.

Thank you, and hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Zeus
 Zeus
(@zeus)

Quick note, this is the link for those who are stuck on the infinite boot due to the Nvidia web drivers. Please note that the link is for an external website, Tonymacx86.com. While it is tailored for Hackintosh users, it is actually more useful to normal macOS users. Moreover, if you do not know your HDD name, use: 

"*"

Just use it without the paranthesis. This is a placeholder for your HDD name, assuming you have one user on the system.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote